Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 48" reptile terrarium that I'd like to convert to a frog vivarium. It's not that the terrarium isn't watertight, it is. It previously housed a dwarf monitor, so it's had wet dirt and mud in it before. I think what it is is that the glass is too thin to support the weight of the water should you fill it to the top. The glass is about 1/4" thick, so how much water would be safe to put in it? Remember, right now it has 5" of dirt.

G

·
If it helps I have a 75gallon tank and its glass is 1/4" think so I would guess that it would hold water to the top, but I don't think I would try it. It may not have tempered bottom which means it;s weaker. If you are going to make a dart tanks I would say your fine, because it wouldn't need over a 1/4 of the tanks filled with water.

G

·
it usually is not the thickness of the glass that determines how much presure it can take, it's the integrity of the corners and joints. Most likely if you are just going to have 5-6" of water, you wont build up enough pressure to crack any leaks. Why dont you just fill it up with a little more water than you intend to use and let it sit for a week to see if it springs any leaks. probably be fine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
These tanks are the same as any other aquarium, the only caveat is that the manufacturer does not test the seals for leaks. I have a 20 long reptile cage (the ones that have half screen, half glass lids) and had some turtles in it, during which it was about 3/4 full of water. I didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The statement that they are the same as aquariums is not entirely true. Upto about the 55gallon size they are made from the same thickness glass for the sides, however terrariums generally lack the tempered glass bottom use in aquariums aproaching this size. Once you go beyond the 55 gallon size in aquariums there is a jump in the thickness of glass used, there is not in terrariums. My 135 gallon terrarium has the same thickness glass in the sides as a 55 gallon aquarium, and by no means would it hold more then a few inches of water in the bottom before it cracked.

And as far as I know there is no difference in the silicone used to seal the tank, therefore the 'seal' would be equally as strong (tested or not).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts