Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my layout, tell me what you think.

Expandable foam stuff on the back with pots in the background. What do I cover the foam with after I layer it with black silicone? (Coco powder? If so, what brand?)
Hydroton as bottom substrate layer. Then some ABG mix. Then some sphagnum moss, and finally leaf litter.

Sound good?
Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
841 Posts
the best sounding and looking covering that i have see was mixing silicone with xylene to thin it then painting it on and covering it with peat or milled coco. i plan on doing this either later in the week or next weekend. my background is still in the carving foam stage.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you do once you dusted all the foam and there's tons of extra coco powder stuff?

·
Registered
638 Posts
2 parts GE SCS1200 black silicone
1 part toluene
1 part dried peat moss

Mix it all together and the paint onto the background then press dried peat on top of it.
Hydroton is great but if you like you can make a false bottom out of egg grate cover it with weed blocker and leave a small gap in between the glass and the egg grate and that can be filled with gravel. On top of the ABG sphagnum is a great choice but I find java or riccia looks and better and gives the tank a natural look both are great though

·
Registered
564 Posts
What do you do once you dusted all the foam and there's tons of extra coco powder stuff?

You should be applying way more coco fiber than what will stick...this way you'll get the best coverage. After the area is dry you can just dust off all the extras and either save it for a later date or vacuum it out of the tank. I generally keep it for another day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts