Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my layout, tell me what you think.

Expandable foam stuff on the back with pots in the background. What do I cover the foam with after I layer it with black silicone? (Coco powder? If so, what brand?)
Hydroton as bottom substrate layer. Then some ABG mix. Then some sphagnum moss, and finally leaf litter.

Sound good?
Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'd recommend fiberglass screen over the hydroton, then sphagnum, then ABG and leaf litter.

The screen will help keep the sphagnum from soaking down into uour false bottom and acts as a security layer to keep the frogs out of the false bottom as well.

The sphagnum will help keep the ABG from washing through into the hydroton.

To cover the foam, smear a thick layer of black or brown silicon over the foam and press coco-fiber or a mixture of dried peat, coco-fiber and sphagnum (ground or very small pieces) into the silicone. Make sure to allow a few days of good ventilation (using a small fan helps too).

Good luck! I can't wait to see some photos.

Also, I'd recommend running a tube from the bottom of your pots behind the foam into the false bottom to allow for drainage.

·
Registered
316 Posts
do you have a way to drain the pots in the background? i'd assume that may be a problem, i had the same Idea an what i thought about using was straws at the most likely place for water to collect and run the straw through the background and pull it out once everything is hardened =p

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I don't have a water feature, do I still need drainage? This isn't a problem, just wondering.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah you'll want a drainage layer so your soil can properly drain. Otherwise it will turn into a swampy mess from misting

·
Registered
691 Posts
It's likely that the pots will get boggy after a while. You really only need a small tube drilled into the bottom of the pots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts