Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i try to build a terrarium. Now i have a question i need some sort of glue for the inside of the terrarium now do i need to look at something specific with the glue? Can i use all glues or do i need to buy a special one? Things like Gorilla Glue dont work for me because im from central Europe and i cant find a Seller.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Any kind of superglue will work (its all cyanoacrylate, just with fancier labels). Plenty of options in Europe for that, but may be worth double-checking no added fancy stuff. Make sure it's fully cured however / air out the viv well for 12-24 hours.

That said, are you trying to glue glass or acrylic panes together? That I would not do with superglue and use silicone (aquarium safe) or acrylic cement, respectively.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any kind of superglue will work (its all cyanoacrylate, just with fancier labels). Plenty of options in Europe for that, but may be worth double-checking no added fancy stuff. Make sure it's fully cured however / air out the viv well for 12-24 hours.

That said, are you trying to glue glass or acrylic panes together? That I would not do with superglue and use silicone (aquarium safe) or acrylic cement, respectively.
I need the glue to stick stuff to the backwall etc not for pannels. The Glue will have a few weeks even months before i get the animal for the Terrarium so that shouldnt be a problem

·
Registered
195 Posts
I need the glue to stick stuff to the backwall etc not for pannels. The Glue will have a few weeks even months before i get the animal for the Terrarium so that shouldnt be a problem
If you are attaching stuff to glass - also recommend silicone (as long as it's not made out of silicone itself).

·
Registered
530 Posts

I am thinking that you are not saying that all glues are cyanoacrylate. If you are than this is not accurate. If you are saying that Superglues are all cyanoacrylate. Than you are correct. But many glues can be used in our tanks which are different. Silicone is different from polyurethane glues (Which gorilla glue is just one type), which is different than cyanoacrylate (Superglue) Europe has been using PU glues for years and there are many waterproof polyurethanes glues to be found in Europe.

The truth about polyurethane glue article.

I found this using a web search for "Polyurethane glues in Europe."

Polyurethane glue suppliers in Europe

If you have access to Amazon, you should be able to order them and have them shipped to you. Just search for "Waterproof Polyurethane glue."

It is true that there are only a few glues that will bond Acrylic and glass, but I didn't get that you needed that from your posted question.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am thinking that you are not saying that all glues are cyanoacrylate. If you are than this is not accurate. If you are saying that Superglues are all cyanoacrylate. Than you are correct. But many glues can be used in our tanks which are different. Silicone is different from polyurethane glues (Which gorilla glue is just one type), which is different than cyanoacrylate (Superglue) Europe has been using PU glues for years and there are many waterproof polyurethanes glues to be found in Europe.

The truth about polyurethane glue article.

I found this using a web search for "Polyurethane glues in Europe."

Polyurethane glue suppliers in Europe

If you have access to Amazon, you should be able to order them and have them shipped to you. Just search for "Waterproof Polyurethane glue."

It is true that there are only a few glues that will bond Acrylic and glass, but I didn't get that you needed that from your posted question.
Sorry if unclear - I meant to say that all superglues are cyanoacrylate. All glues are definitely not cyanoacrylate - hence my point was to make sure you are using superglue vs. something else that is less or not tested on vivs.

Silicone is ok (but needs time / venting to cure and is great for glass). Superglue / cyanoacrlyate also ok - but can be a pain to get off glass without the right solvents (acetone). Same story with polyurethane.

The latter two actually need moisture to cure, which is a big benefit for e.g. gluing plants in a "wetter" viv (the glue spot should still be dry). Silicone not so much, so great during the initial set-up / build, bad thereafter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts