Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am setting up a few terrariums for dart frogs and I would like your opinions of plants and other fixtures (sticks/logs/rocks/shelves/backgrounds etc).

I am new at building tank setups - this one you see first below will house Ranitomeya Fantastica "True Nominals". The skeleton of the build is in place but the rest I would love advice on! The top is mesh but sealed 90% for humidity retention and will have passive front to back ventilation via the front Exoterra slits.

The substrate is leca balls with mesh on top then ABG, I left the leaf litter off for now in the event of planting more plants.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Organism Wood Plant Gas Grass

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I would plant any more plants in the substrate, it looks like a lot of the floor space is taken up as is. There is a lot of space to mount plants on the branches up off the ground though.

What's your plan with the gecko?
I was thinking a few small or a couple small and one big bromeliad, with it's base wrapped in sphagnum and tied to different branches. Thoughts?

To answer: Our lovely Mourning Geckos will stay, as they co-hab well with most of our frogs 😁

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That tank isn’t big enough to be cohabitating anything imo
Well forgive my ignorance but why not? A single mourning gecko with 2 Ranitomeya would hardly be crowding the space.

We have 3 mourning Geckos with our 4 Ranitomeya Summersi in an 18x18x24, heavily planted and setup with lots of elevated structures, hides and tubes.

Our summers have been happily breeding well and raising tadpoles successfully in-situ without issues. I fail to see the issue there.

·
Administrator
4,515 Posts

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts
The frogs produce all the waste the microfauna need.
And then some.

I wonder about where we've gotten with things if we're starting to think we need to feed the cleaning crew. Maybe we should smear lipstick on the hotel walls to make sure the housekeepers have enough to do. Lots of bad reasoning in these sorts of discussions, but that's how ad hoc justifications tend to go.

Broken record alert: search 'mixing' here (or 'mourning gecko' which should get to the mixing discussions in one or two hops).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fair enough, all good points. I am building a terrarium just for the mourning Geckos, so I will likely move them all into there.
I am no expert and thus this is why this is in the beginner section - learning is why we are all here.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You make a fair point. I suppose with the amount of misting needed to keep the terrarium humid on a daily basis retention of moisture in the soil is not necessarily as big a deal. The only reason I would really use clay ball substrate is for moisture retention in the soil media. I suppose egg crate is okay! However my tanks are not drilled for drainage so egg crate might be easy to make a hole with a tube for manual siphoning

1 - 13 of 13 Posts