Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a fantastic source of dampwood termites near my house, and assuming the recent humidity keeps up, I should have a ready supply of termites to feed my growing collection. Even the jeuv. Vents can easily eat them. My question is, are termites an acceptable substitute for flies? I've been combining them with the ff's I have, but it would be simpler to just collect termites weekly.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
They're a great food source but very fatty so be reasonable about using them as a staple. I'm told by a friend of mine who is an entomology professor that damp woods termites are the most likely to produce secondary queens from workers. If you have a good supply, I would try to trap a huge number with a cardboard trap and set up a culture that you don't feed from to see if you can have some luck at getting a queen to appear. If you do, you'll be the envy of all froggers.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I actually have a termite culture, and so far it seems to be producing well, although I have stopped checking on them so I dont mess up their tunnels. Last time I checked there was 9 queens in there. I suggest setting up a culture, just because they are a great supplemental feeder.

G

·
I'd be willing to pay for a starter culture of termites if you want to send a good number of them down my way :lol:

G

·
I'd be more then happy to split it with you Shelly. If we can find someone willing to ship some to us in a large enough quantity. :lol: I can just set them up in large sterilite boxes in my crawlspace and forget about them for a few months and let them set up their own colony. My frogs would be in heaven.

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, as far as I know, dampwoods can have multiple surrogate queens per colony, so that in the event of the primary queen's death, one will replace her. Everytime I collect, I get 4 or 5 of these pseudo-queens along with the feeder workers. I would be willing to ship some as soon as the rains in my area stop if anyone would like to try their hand at culturing them, but does anyone have any info on the legality of it? I suppose I could just send them in unmarked packaging, but I don't know how big of a no-no that is.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is illegal to sell termites without the proper permits. I dont think you will have a problem though, just dont post a add, just keep it confined to pms.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is absolutely illegal to sell or even ship termites without USDA permits. They are considered by authorities to a majpr pest. Millions of dollars are spent every year by homeowners trying to prevent them from eating their houses away.

However, us froggers are smarter than that. We know that if the wood in your house is not wet you have little or nothing to fear. I would really be careful about shipping these tasty treats. Being regulated at a federal level you could face some stiff fines if caught. No laws about collecting them or passing them along for free though, just not sending through the mail or other shipping services.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts