Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently i had the idea to start a viv just for fun and my love of plants. Since i have a few extra 10g laying around i started searching for simular projects. After a few mins i came across these "Vericle conversion Kits". Pretty cool idea! So i know that JungleBox def sells them and the failed AAAFrogs company but i think id like to build a few myself :D

I live in Cincinnati, Oh and every month there is a Reptile Show right up the street. I think its only like $35 for a table and theres always a huge turnout. The show usually includes everything from boas, ball pythons, corn snakes, milk snakes, Bearded dragons, terantuals, ext ext AND Darts!!! so there are darts in my town! which to me means theres atleast a small market there

i guess my real question is:
Do you think its a good idea to attempt to sell the vericly converted 10G tanks or even just the "kits" and actually make a profit? :D i know the time put in might not be worth it to some people but i would def enjoy the hands on project even just for fun.

iv done some shopping arond for parts from places like screenitagain.com for the top vent, obviously drsfostersmith.com for hinges, the glass ill get local.. and silicone is at the Depot. Ill come back later with the price sheet i wrote up its at home.

thanks for looking!!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
meeeh. they dont seem to sell as well as youd like at shows, especially when exoterra and zoomed drop their pricing to sell show stock. Make them for your friends, yourself and use that experience to optimize your design.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
If you enjoy making backgrounds, planting, etc.--then perhaps you could compete in a different way...but you probably won't get rich!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah was more just to make a few bucks here and there along with the ball pythons ill eventually have ^.^ including some killer pieds circa 2015

But here's some of my AQUarium work

And I love my reef tank :)

Will be a few months before I get to build a viv tbh funds all going to the snakes right now. Currently making payments on this big lady

I know I got a little off topic here :p but ill be scheming on this viv ten gallon idea for awhile ill update as it progresses. Thanks again for your advice!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welll it was a good idea in theory anyways lol!
To me it's just like anything in this hobby;
you do it more for the pure enjoyment of the build, and the beautiful displays that you get out of it lol.

You could sell them locally and make a few bucks maybe?
Based on your design, I may be interested in a few if they look and last better than mine!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Thanks for the advice! It just seemed like they were pretty popular online, and i know the exos and zooMeds are kinda pricey :p that was my initial motivation!

this kinda does kill my idea.. i thought they were higher priced for this size :((

Glass Terrarium » Exo Terra® Glass Terrarium | PetSmart

lame.. prob still make a few lol
If I were going to do this, or really sell any vivs I made, I would try to do 15gal or larger vivs, up to 40's...stuff not so big that you can't pick it up and move it yourself or with 1 helper, and will fit in your car, is big enough to look impressive and seem to justify the cost. I don't think people wanna pay a 100+ for 10gal custom planted vivs. I'd try to stock up on petco dollar sale tanks and focus mostly on the 20-30gal sizes. With smart/cheap but nice plant choices and smart/light construction techniques you can make great vivs that aren't that expensive, can carry yourself and sell at a larger profit margin. I'd do this even If I was just making empty vivs with vert kits or whatever. When you can offer a larger tank at a great price people will be more likely to buy between petco dollar sales....and that is when I'd sell them, in the time between dollar sales so if they want it then planted and/or with a vert kit they gotta wait or fork over a little extra. You might have to sell the tank at cost and mostly charge for the vert kit/labor if you sell around the time of petco sales.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Thanks Dave!
no prob...been something I've wanted to do for a long time, but usually didn't have the money to do so many tanks at once...or was distracted by life and didn't get around to it when I had the means ;) Market is kinda limited here in OK too...If I lived on either coast I would consider seriously making a go at a viv/planted wall based business. Wish someone would pay for me to move and give me the job hook up ...I think I would bring a lot to the table ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dave!! :) Ill draw up a few bigger tank designs soon as I get some free time. I really like building things hands on and absolutly love the look of the verticle kit tanks :) more soon! Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Thanks Dave!! :) Ill draw up a few bigger tank designs soon as I get some free time. I really like building things hands on and absolutly love the look of the verticle kit tanks :) more soon! Thanks again everyone!!
Cool, I would definitely approach it from a hobby/fun standpoint, at least at first and be willing to loose money or make very little and hold on to/use the vivs you don't sell...and be in a financial situation to handle all that. And if you got the mad skillz and the business sense maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I would definitely approach it from a hobby/fun standpoint, at least at first and be willing to loose money or make very little and hold on to/use the vivs you don't sell...and be in a financial situation to handle all that. And if you got the mad skillz and the business sense maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)
Thanks again Dave :) we shall see in due time.

ok so upon reconsidertion mostly from your guys' advice and the price of the smaller exos i think im going to draw up plans for 20 long and 40 breeder kits. screen vents on top sealed glass bottoms simular to the jungle box setups and my original plans. considering using lexan or plexi instead of glass.. not sure yet.

still a few more projects to finish up then ill start into the wonderfull world of above water plants and animals! lol

semi-unrelated note/Q:
i know the new snake rack I build is great and the snakes love it. but for darts iv only seen racks that hold seprate exos or vivs.. is there any contained racks people use? like vision stackables? just curious :) pictures and plans soon. thanks again for the warm welcome and advice!!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
If you can find good and cheap lighting solutions like perhaps those china led spot lights with an ac plug wired up, or cheap zoomed/exoterra fixtures with spiral CF daylight bulbs in them then you can mark up the lighting a little bit, or sell it at cost and it will probably make the deal more tasty so people don't have to worry about finding a light for it...and you can make it optional if they already have a light.

Personally after my experiences with acrylic tanks and vert inserts I'd prefer to buy glass if I'm ever in the market for something now....acrylic is great when it is new, and easier for most to cut pieces themselves, but tends to get scuffed/scratched way easier and look like crap down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again Dave!! I really wish I had the cash to start this project up :) but In due time..

I think what it's going to come down to is how many I can make the first round. The more I make I think the cheaper each one will be for me in the end. In turn it makes it a more appealing price for the customers. :)

All of this will hopefully one day be sidelined by my ball python captive bred babies. But for now I think it's something fun to do and maybe a good way to start getting our name out there :) thanks again everyone for your advice and direction. Feel free to continue brainstorming here on any helpful exp from your own viv builds :)

Later!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts