Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. I have set up my first viv and am hoping to add my first ever frogs next month. Humidity is at 80-100% with hand misting. Plants and microfauna are THRIVING! BUT my temp is staying around 77°-79°.

I live in Houston so AC/ room temp is 70°-72° pretty much 24/7. I have a glass lid with a screen vent along the back. The viv is just consistently about 6°-8° higher than room temp.

I got 2 small USB fans but can't seem to get temps down much & they seem to dry out the viv.

So my QUESTIONS:
1 - Can these temps work or are they too high?
2 - Any advice on fan placement? On the light? The lid? On the vent? Blowing in or out?
3 - Has anyone else had this problem? What fixes could you recommend?

(PIC from 2 weeks ago. plants have grown even more)
Plant Water Pet supply Aquatic plant Grass

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's the size of the tank. What are you using to check your temps. Heat issues like this are common in aquariums. Especially tank sizes that are considered too small for our frogs.
It's a 10 gallon for pair of froglets. I'm panning on upgrading to something bigger in the future. Just trying to get started. I have a thermometer / hydrometer. Its analog. I tested it and it seems reasonably accurate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not accurate at all. You need to get an IR temp gun. You can find them for $12-15 on Amazon. I think they sell them at Walmart and target too. Hygrometers are absolutely worthless unless you spend a lot of money. There's no such thing as a good analog one. Same for a analog thermometer. Even if it's accurate it's only giving you a reading of the air directly around the thermometer.

The tank looks too wet. High humidity and high heat means your frogs can't thermoregulate. I would cover up the water area and add more leaf litter. Your substrate is saturated enough that you can skip misting for quite awhile. Especially if the frogs aren't in the tank yet.
No frogs yet. Trying to get everything dialed in first. There is just so much conflicting info everywhere.

Originally I had the front corner open just so that i could see if I need to drain my drainage layer. Didn't want standing water because I had read it can lead to bacteria. Then I read it helps keep humidity up to have 1/4 inch of standing water in the bottom. So I have been experimenting for a week or so.

I just want my frogs to do well once I get them.

What is the best way to read humidity in your opinion?

Thanks man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys all so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I’ve been keeping fish forever, but these are my first frogs so I want to do a good job. I seem to have the temperature stabilized around 70 With fan placement. Now I’m just going to dial in my humidity. I drained the water in the bottom. I’m thinking I have 2 - 4 more weeks of experimentation before I feel comfortable adding livestock.

Would smaller, frogs be better suited for a 10 gallon? Maybe a pair of auratus? I’ve just read that tincs make good beginner frogs.

I’m fully expecting to be hooked on darts. My 55 gallon fish tank may not have water in it much longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts