Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked what I do for a temporary frog home that can be put together quickly, but that the frogs can stay in for a month or so. I thought it would be helpful to post it here.
I use a clear plastic storage box from Lowes. I use a size that holds about 30 quarts and measures about 12" x 18" x 11". They are made by Rubbermaid or KIS, and I'm sure other companies.
Put some wet, but not waterlogged, sphagnum moss in the bottom for a substrate. Add some leaf litter to hide under, and a clump of live plant like pothos or prayer plant is nice. Maybe a coco hut for bigger frogs.
I don't care for the lid that comes with it so I cut a piece of glass for the top. I cut about a third off of the lid to function as an opening top. I hinge this with a simple piece of tape. The bigger part of the lid is taped into place while the opening lid stays in place because of the taped hinge.
How long can you keep frogs in there? I raised a group of 4 Varadero for about 4 months in one. I kept my brother's 2 Azureus for about two months while he finished his viv.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cool thanks. I hope your hand/finger heals quickly!

-Chris

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's great that you have your own glass company. Being able to build your own tops and even better your own vivs. I need my own glass company :D

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Just as a heads up, not all plastic containers work. I recently bought a cheap one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond that sucked. I had my new azureus in it for a few days and they were acting very stressed... after a few days of not seeing them I stuck my head in and realized there was an incredibly strong plasticky smell. I then transfered them to their viv, which happened to be ready at the time, and they are acting more normal again. I guess the plastic was having some sort of reaction to the humidity? Who knows...

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I've been asked what I do for a temporary frog home that can be put together quickly, but that the frogs can stay in for a month or so. I thought it would be helpful to post it here.
I use a clear plastic storage box from Lowes. I use a size that holds about 30 quarts and measures about 12" x 18" x 11". They are made by Rubbermaid or KIS, and I'm sure other companies.
Put some wet, but not waterlogged, sphagnum moss in the bottom for a substrate. Add some leaf litter to hide under, and a clump of live plant like pothos or prayer plant is nice. Maybe a coco hut for bigger frogs.
I don't care for the lid that comes with it so I cut a piece of glass for the top. I cut about a third off of the lid to function as an opening top. I hinge this with a simple piece of tape. The bigger part of the lid is taped into place while the opening lid stays in place because of the taped hinge.
How long can you keep frogs in there? I raised a group of 4 Varadero for about 4 months in one. I kept my brother's 2 Azureus for about two months while he finished his viv.
At least one of the Zoos uses containers like these except they get a custom top made for them (this is when I wish I had pictures). The lid gets modified so the base stays in place but about 3/4 of it can be slid out. They have little u-tracks installed to allow for this to happen so they can modify the lids to meet the needs of the animals. I don't know if you thought about using some form of track to hold the glass in place.. or not.

(I think but I could be wrong that it was the Henry Doorly Zoo).
Ed

·
Registered
203 Posts
This would be great for larger frogs. I recently got 2 new Cobalt froglets that are a lot smaller than my 1 1/2 year old male. I obviously can't put them in the same viv until the little guys get a bit bigger. I used the same method except I bought a little 2.5 gallon tank, filled it with some wet sphagnum, and tossed in leaf litter and a Pothos cutting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DOUG...YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH AWESOME!!! I ask, and you thread...GIDDIDY...
Oh yeah, ED is AWESOME too..:p Ill def post pics of my new IMIs...
Oh, Oooh..gotta run now...I hear the Zombie crickets...:p

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DOUG...YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH AWESOME!!! I ask, and you thread...GIDDIDY...
Oh yeah, ED is AWESOME too..:p Ill def post pics of my new IMIs...
Oh, Oooh..gotta run now...I hear the Zombie crickets...:p
Your welcome KAcE.
AHH-HAA!! I'm the only one that gets "zombie crickets"!!:D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool thanks. I hope your hand/finger heals quickly!

-Chris
Thanks Chris! Funny how a split second of carelessness can mess you up!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
(I think but I could be wrong that it was the Henry Doorly Zoo).
Ed

Best zoo ever btw! I go back to Omaha just for the rainforest dome when ever I can. If you go on say christmas eve there is no one in there. I got to pet a tucan, the lemers where out of their exibit. I could of pet one but wasnt sure if it would freak out on me. No zoo has ever compared for me.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
The sterilite "premium' containers work well, too. With a bit of weather stripping around the top, they are FF proof, and the size I use fits well 3 to a 4'' baker's rack shelf. I use these to hold juvies/adults before placing them in permanent vivs, as well as to grow up froglets.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's nice Chris. I like the large amounts of leaf litter you've got going on.

·
Banned
1,573 Posts
Thx, The main reason why I got them is because of the rubber seal that makes them fruit fly escape proof. I got them at target for $4.88 I believe and they are the 16 1/8" L x 11 1/4" W x 10 7/8" H. The leaves are a mix of oak, pin oak, and sea grape. about two inches deep. Lots and lots of micro-fauna living in there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone know how much would I have to increase the tub size to safely house 6 leucomelas all less than a year old but between 4-9 months old. PM me please if you have any suggestions. I really appreciated the straight forward approach in this thread too!

Awesome read,
-FoxHound

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would think you might want to get two or three this size and do them in pairs or trio's. I'd be inclined to do pairs, myself with larger frogs like that. If you did trio's, just watch out for aggression and make sure everybody is well fed.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the post Doug! I just set up a ten gallon I had laying around very much the way you described in anticipation of froglets (I may be a little ahead of myself as I only just brought them home a few days ago!)

What do you do about misting? You can't mist as frequently as a standard viv because there's no drainage, so do you just mist if things start to dry a little?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you do it like I do, with a bed of damp sphagnum covered in leaf litter, conditions should stay moist/humid enough. I hand mist once or twice a week when feeding.

Reactions: parkanz2

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dang, wish I saw this thread earlier, could have saved me some money. But anyways. I put together a 10 gallon. Prolly went too far by adding a false bottom, and so far 1" of ABG. I have read that 2" is prefered, but this is only a temporary setup. Plus I don't want to take away too much climbing room. Bought a 24" wire rack, and put one T5 bulb over the tank.

I decided to remove one of my Leucs, cause he is smaller and skinnier than the other 2. I been feeding more in hopes that he will get caught up. But it is turning the other 2 into super fatties. Hopefully this setup is good enough till he is ready to rejoin the other 2.

I will post some pics tomorrow. I plan to use this tank for a grow out tank in the future.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts