Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about heat mats and ways to keep the temperature up in enclosures,I just want to check the best way to add heat without boiling my frogs/breaking the glass.

Currently the room the enclosure is in is averaging around 10 C/50F.
Summer won't be an issue but that's the ambient DAYTIME temperature in the house I'm in, unless I am at home and then I can keep mine around 60F.

I have a small blow heater and an oil filled radiator (I have no idea of they are called the same thing internationally).

Would it be feasible to use the blow heater directed towards the tank to bring the temps up? If it is plugged into a timer maybe?

In my previous house my rooms were heated to 16 C/60F minimum whether I was in or out but I now share a house馃槥 and this is not possible unless I add an electric heat source to my room but I would need to regulate it to turn on and off.

My oil filled radiator is on a timer, so another idea is to have that closer to the tank with an air flow blowing the heat from that to the tank (cheaper option than the blow heater).

Any ideas?

Administrator
Would it be feasible to use the blow heater directed towards the tank to bring the temps up? If it is plugged into a timer maybe?
I assume this is some sort of portable fan-driven electric element heater. If so, keep in mind that care needs to be taken that the viv glass doesn't warm enough to crack it or pose a risk to frogs that rest on it. I don't know what temperature that would be, exactly.

Personally, I think a room that averages 50F is a patent non starter for keeping darts (or really any tropical herps) in. That's a US based opinion, so take it with a grain of salt (or a cubic meter of methane, or whatever you heat with), but pushing the limits of captive animals' tolerances isn't the best way to ensure success.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A heater with a thermostat should be used to keep the room you are considering keeping dart frogs in to 16c/60f and hopefully a little warmer during the day.
Ok that will work with the protaboe radiator I have, Thankyou馃憤馃徎

I assume this is some sort of portable fan-driven electric element heater. If so, keep in mind that care needs to be taken that the viv glass doesn't warm enough to crack it or pose a risk to frogs that rest on it. I don't know what temperature that would be, exactly.

Personally, I think a room that averages 50F is a patent non starter for keeping darts (or really any tropical herps) in. That's a US based opinion, so take it with a grain of salt (or a cubic meter of methane, or whatever you heat with), but pushing the limits of captive animals' tolerances isn't the best way to ensure success.
It is a portable ceramic heater thing, well was.

I've ordered a better heater for the room with a thermostat so pretty much a radiator but I can set the ambient temperature.

Old Victorian house, rubbish insulation and a house mate who doesn't like the warmth, not great for much tropical. Though good for bartering for a personal heatsource for my room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts