Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all !

So had a quick question about temps. I just installed a new glass top on my 55 gallon leuc vivarium and also added a zoomed aquasun t-5 ho fixture (2 bulbs {1 t-5 ho florasun 5500K plant bulb and 1 t-5 ho daylight 6500K bulb}). I observed my tank to make sure the temps would be good, and I'm a little uncertain. Using a temp gun, the floor temp ranged from 74-77 and the top of the tank (i.e. background, leaves closest to the glass lid, ect) ranged from 76-81. I took temps throughout the day.

I used aquarium hoods in the past with 2 24" flora bulbs and would be anywhere from 73-77 degrees in the tank. My house thermostat usually reads around 72 and it is pretty cold outside (27 today).

My fixture is about 2 inches from the glass top and is as far up as it goes. I may try to rig the sides (side mounts on the tank) so it can go up another inch or so. I also pondered getting a small computer fan and either pointing it towards the light fixture itself OR into the tank (but that would eliminate humidity, thus rising the temp right?) Also maybe the HO bulbs are producing too much heat....maybe putting atleast 1 non-ho 6500K light in the fixture could help with the emitting heat?

I'm a little concerned with the temps, especially when it is winter out. I'm happy about the overall look of the tank and needed to get rid of the hoods asap, but would like it to be safe for the inhabitants as well.

As always, thank you for any assistance provided !

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That sounds fine to me. The frogs can move around from high or low parts of the tank if they are too hot or cold, so if some parts are 73-74 there is no problem. My leucs really seem to like the warmth; in the summer when they breed and are most active, their tank hits 80-82 most days, and sometimes gets a little warmer (but I try not to let it get too much higher than this). You could always install an internal fan to help keep the air moving inside the tank if you are concerned about it being too stagnant, and if you find the lights generate too much heat then shut the lights off a few hours earlier.
Bryan

Reactions: Brian317

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good to hear. I'll have to watch the temps when it starts to get hotter out and might still try out a fan, since they dont cost alot. I was nervous about the 80 reading, but that was only at the very top of the tank. They seemed to like the increased humidity and few degrees because my male has not shut up the entrie day AND morning :)

Thank you for the reply !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts