Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a viv setup for some Black Jeans, and with a recently acquired temp gun i've been checking the temp gradients from substrate to directly under the lights.

Substrate temp ranges from 63F at the front (near the front vent) to 68F in little pockets of leaf litter, while the bromeliad temps range from 70 to 80F, and the top of the viv sits at about 82F.

Are these gradients just too extreme? Ambient room temps tend to sit at 63F.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have gradients very similar to those in most of my thumbnail and Escudo vivs. Successful breeding in many.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Doug,

The lowest temp i've managed to find is 60.5F, right at the front of the viv but this is in an isolated spot.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That sounds like a false reading. It shouldn't be possible to fall below the room temperature of 63. Unless perhaps it's right by a window? If that's the case it may be worth putting a piece of styrofoam over the window to insulate it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a false reading. It shouldn't be possible to fall below the room temperature of 63. Unless perhaps it's right by a window? If that's the case it may be worth putting a piece of styrofoam over the window to insulate it.
I thought it strange too, double checked and the reading is correct. It's a little different now the central heatings kicked in, but the substrate temp basically matches the room temp exactly. Must be from the convection effect pulling air in the front vent.

Anthony.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I thought it strange too, double checked and the reading is correct. It's a little different now the central heatings kicked in, but the substrate temp basically matches the room temp exactly. Must be from the convection effect pulling air in the front vent.

Anthony.
I guess that could be causing some evaporative cooling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts