Dendroboard banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Where did you get the information that A. callidryas "requires" uvb and that it's needs for vitamin D3 cannot be met with supplements?

If you bothered to read the papers I cited above, you will see that there were temperatures taken at different levels...

In addition what temperatures would rapidly cause "heat stroke" and what sources are you using for that information?

Ed

I never said that Vitamin D3 cannot supplement it's uvb needs, but it requires uvb in the wild for it to properly use calcium.
QUOTE: Although they sleep during the day, Red-Eyed Treefrogs are exposed to ultraviolet rays in their natural habitats. Red-Eyed Tree Frogs should be exposed to supplemental low-output UVB light. This can be accomplished by using a fluorescent lamp designed for frog terrariums. The fluorescent bulb should be replaced every six months. Glass blocks out UVB light, so overhead light sources should be kept behind a wire mesh cover, not a glass or acrylic tank top.
Source Cited: Animal Care -- Red-Eyed Treefrog

And this whole page talks about heat strokes from changes in temperatures.
Heatstroke: nature in an age of ... - Google Books

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
you forgot to switch accounts, brah

I never said that Vitamin D3 cannot supplement it's uvb needs, but it requires uvb in the wild for it to properly use calcium.
QUOTE: Although they sleep during the day, Red-Eyed Treefrogs are exposed to ultraviolet rays in their natural habitats. Red-Eyed Tree Frogs should be exposed to supplemental low-output UVB light. This can be accomplished by using a fluorescent lamp designed for frog terrariums. The fluorescent bulb should be replaced every six months. Glass blocks out UVB light, so overhead light sources should be kept behind a wire mesh cover, not a glass or acrylic tank top.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Indeed there is! And shoot, I got an infraction for it! *cries* :(
I suggest settling down, accepting you made an ass out of yourself, and moving on.

Honestly, it's probably an experience everyone knows all too well (i'm rather an expert in the field), and nothing worth dwelling over. And clearly the alt accounts, and claims of hacking,are just making it worse for you, as opposed to effectively covering up the original dirt

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My wife's good friend from her work came from Peru. She returns 2x a year to visit family etc. I asked her about the frogs and temps recently. She said the frogs are all throughout the rocks by streams(small streams only), in root buttresses, and in vegetation everywhere. She says during the summer months it is 90+F on the ground in the forests, and humidity about 80-90%. With winter temps seeing averages more like 70-75 F and far less humidity. I will take the word from a native, that yes the temps do get this high on the ground, at least in Peru.

JBear

Reactions: johnyrocks

·
Banned
503 Posts
And clearly the alt accounts, and claims of hacking,are just making it worse for you, as opposed to effectively covering up the original dirt
That's 100% correct, that was the biggest mistake i've made. And considering it almost has 1000 views within a day, that's what concerns me.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
That's 100% correct, that was the biggest mistake i've made. And considering it almost has 1000 views within a day, that's what concerns me.
I doubt, beyond the original shitty comments, most people even care.

just publicly apologize to the person you made the needlessly rude comments to, then move on.

At least then you did the right thing

·
Banned
503 Posts
I doubt, beyond the original shitty comments that caused this whole debacle, most people even care.

just publicly apologize to the person you made the needlessly rude comments to, then move on.

At least then you did the right thing
That's the next thing I plan on doing, but the whole debate screwed me up.

In another post, OP has called attention to himself. After reading through only a couple pages worth of his past rude posts, I am retracting my offer to sell frogs. If a mod sees this, please erase my posts in this thread.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

First off.. your citation here is valueless as it is from a site that not only isn't using any data to back up thier statements but they have a vested interest in selling you the equipment to supply UVB to the frog regardless if they need it or not. If you can produce some hard data then I would be interested in seeing it...

Second if that is your position, the statement about red eyes and UVB is specious as it has nothing to do with discussion in dendrobatids and heat stress.

Third, the papers I cited regarding temperatures were the average of the time frame which means that they took into account variations that occur throughout the day which means that your "statement about "mist" cooling the canopy is already accounted for..

How does this provide an answer of the temperature to cause "heat stroke" in dendrobatids? I went to the book from that link and the page you linked to is a discussion on chytrid infection not the temperature at which dendrobatids go into "heat stroke"... Please show where it is relevent to the discussion... all because the title states heat stroke, doesn't mean that it is relevent.....

Ed

·
Registered
127 Posts
First off.. your citation here is valueless as it is from a site that not only isn't using any data to back up thier statements but they have a vested interest in selling you the equipment to supply UVB to the frog regardless if they need it or not. If you can produce some hard data then I would be interested in seeing it...

Second if that is your position, the statement about red eyes and UVB is specious as it has nothing to do with discussion in dendrobatids and heat stress.

Third, the papers I cited regarding temperatures were the average of the time frame which means that they took into account variations that occur throughout the day which means that your "statement about "mist" cooling the canopy is already accounted for..

How does this provide an answer of the temperature to cause "heat stroke" in dendrobatids? I went to the book from that link and the page you linked to is a discussion on chytrid infection not the temperature at which dendrobatids go into "heat stroke"... Please show where it is relevent to the discussion... all because the title states heat stroke, doesn't mean that it is relevent.....

Ed
The guy is not a bio chemist up for review and he doesnt have to cite his work lol. He saw something some where and decided to pass it along because he thought it was relevant to the conversation. I dont see any reason to chew his sack off over it. This is a forum not a peer reviewed scientific journal. Even if he was wrong about the uvb, he never claimed to be an expert anyway. I think most people on this forum can look at comments and determine who knows what theyre talking about, who just says stuff to say stuff, and who gets off on craping on people because they didnt write a bibliography after their comment... yet another useful thread sidelined for no real reason.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
The guy is not a bio chemist up for review and he doesnt have to cite his work lol. He saw something some where and decided to pass it along because he thought it was relevant to the conversation. I dont see any reason to chew his sack off over it. This is a forum not a peer reviewed scientific journal. Even if he was wrong about the uvb, he never claimed to be an expert anyway. I think most people on this forum can look at comments and determine who knows what theyre talking about, who just says stuff to say stuff, and who gets off on craping on people because they didnt write a bibliography after their comment... yet another useful thread sidelined for no real reason.

How does this excuse the perpetuation of bad information by a person who creates more than one account to propegate inane information?

Ed

·
Registered
315 Posts
How does it give you a right to use big words?
The point is, Ed is trying to answer your questions using sound scientific data. When he questioned your use of information obtained from a website attempting to sell you products, you take offense rather than accept the fact that Ed is providing you with corrections to potentially bad information you have posted.

Just accept the fact that it is possible that your information source may be incorrect and move on.

No negativity, just a mutual respect for correct, scientific information.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts

I have never seen anyone request the same level of sourcing here that one would expect for a doctoral thesis, or even a general term paper. What I have seen is that information, especially that of which is being disputed, is supported in some reasonable manner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts