Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, thought I would start a new thread regarding this topic alone. Lets say all agree that we should vary the temps in our terrariums and give our frogs a dryer and cooler climate at different times of the year, or even the day. How would it be best to do this?

Is there a thermostat out there that would let you set a turn on and turn off temp for fans? Lets say you want the fans to come on when temps reach 77 or 78 degrees, and turn off at 58 or 68, something along these temps. Can you do this with one thermostat without having to reprogram it every time you wanted a cooler temp in the terrarium?

I can understand that this can be a little difficult to do in smaller terrariums. But, if you put the retrostat for the thermostat near the bottom of the terrarium the top would and should be a few degrees different in taller tanks.

I would like everybodys opinion on this will benifit the frogs the most IMHO.

Mike P.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I have the time and money I've been kind of thinking about doing something similiar for a large viv (think 150+ gallons) and a window A/C unit to try to keep a colony(7-10) of Silverstonei. Probably be awhile before (if ever) that I can try this though.

As to computer fans running hooked up to a thermostat. Still could be expensive. I would think you could wire up a thermostat to the fans, however separating the temperature probe from the main unit so it can be put in the vivarium might be difficult.

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wouldn't be expensive. Just wire 12V fans to a cheap home thermostat mounted above the tank. Set the temp and when the contacts make in the t-stat, the fans come on. I'm dong it in mine. Only difference was I decided to go with 115V fans, so I have to use a contactor, xformer, and control wires from the t-stat to the contactor. Same principles with your home HVAC unit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something along the lines of an X-10 or multicontroller would work well: http://www.aquadirect.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=8. Many people use them in reefkeeping, and I don't see why it couldn't be tweeked to use for vivs. From the PC, you can simulate moon phases, wave action, full daylight, simulated overcast skies, etc. I'm not sure what would need to be done for vivs, but I don't think it would be too difficult to do similar things that monitor and control rains, light intensity, breeze/fans, etc.

I started a discussion about this in a dedicated forum for this type of technology: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... did=438938

1 - 4 of 4 Posts