Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm hopefully gonna get a group of terribilis. Someone post a pics or describe a simple temporary holding tank I can use until I get the main tank finished.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
jared
congatulations! and good choice. How many and about what size? A simple 10 gal might do if they are small for a short amount of time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Jared, if they are only a couple months old you can keep 2 - 3 in a shoebox for a while (I usually keep them in a shoebox for 30 days at least). If you are getting more than that they have larger sizes. You can the rubbermaid clear boxes for about $3.00. Put in some soil mix, leaf litter and pothos and they will be fine. Magnolia leaves or a coco hut will provide a good hide area, but my terribilis rarely hide even when they are young.
Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pm'd Kevin Hoff about his classified. He says they're 3-4 months, I'd like 6 or more in the 37H. Probably 6 though. I do have a 10G lying around I could use. I just have to get with Harry from Cloud Jungle to get the plants and I'm still waiting for the mister from Ecologic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6 would be too much for a 37...but your hearts in the right spot. A terribilis colonly would definantly be cool. The 10 gal is a better idea for housing more frogs at a time, but Ed's idea of plastic show boxes would work better for a smaller number. Good luck!

Dustin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would 6 be too much? I was told one per 5 gallons and terribilis was a group frog. :? Now I'm confused.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The whole 'frog per 5 gallon" thing has to be applied to each frog. For luecs, which would used both the height and ground portion of the tank, this rule-of-thumb would fit. A 37 gal is like a 29, they have the same footprint-so you have a tank that is build taller and would give more arboreal darts a better edge. Problem is, terribilis almost never go far up and the footprint for the 37 wouldn't be enought space. they would be really crowded. I would go to a flea market or craigslist and look for a 50L.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's weird. Sean stewart says on his site that he kept 8 terribilis in a 2x2x2 tank and everyone got along.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Since Terribilis are mostly ground dwelling species, I think the surface area of the floor is why the 2'x2'x2' cage would be better than a 37 gallon aquarium.

I just looked up the dimensions of a 37 gallong and it is 30"x12"x22".

If we calculate the surface area of the floors:

2' cube = 24"x24"x24 so the surface are would be 24" x 24" = 576 sq inches
37 gallon = 30"x12"x22" - surface are of ground is 30" x 12" = 360 sq inches.

Therefore, the 2' cube has more ground area than the 37 gallon (576 - 360) or 216 square inches more than the 37 gallon.

A 29 gallon (30"x12"x18") would give you the same amount of floor space as the 37 gallon.

Some tanks which would have an equivalent floor area to the 2' cubes would be:

33 Long 48x13x12
40 Breeder 36x18x16
and above.

Good luck,

Melis

Jared J said:
That's weird. Sean stewart says on his site that he kept 8 terribilis in a 2x2x2 tank and everyone got along.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2' cube = 24"x24"x24 so the surface are would be 24" x 24" = 576 sq inches
37 gallon = 30"x12"x22" - surface are of ground is 30" x 12" = 360 sq inches.
Damn she showed you. :wink:

No but seriously i checked her math she is right. Furthermore 6 frogsx 5 gallons per frog is 30 gallons and thats like a minimum rule of thumb and a 29 gallon footprint is smaller than a 30 gallon footprint so, i dont think they would fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I figured the math also, but I was going on keeping them as a group. So, I'm gonna go with 5 since they are babies and if they pair up and get agressive, then I'll move whatever is necessary. I got what, 12+ months?

Anyway, how should I set up their temporary tank?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you already have the 37 right? Just build a false bottom, lay some Super Soil down and some leaf litter on top of that. Then get some cheap plants from Home Depot and to top it off get a cheap flourescent light fixture from Wal Mart and there ya have it, a temp frog tank. Its not a complete waste either, 37's are awesome tanks that would be cool for most any other type of dart and would make for a killer thumbnail colony tank. And you will already have false bottom and light.

Dustin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I was toying with the false bottom for the 37, but I think I'm gonna go with the LECA, just because I have 2 bags of it laying around. Plus I don't want to have to trim the eggcrate around all the expanded foam.

Harry at Cloud Jungle is gonna so up a plant package for me based on the finished pics I'll send him. It'll ba a total surprise for me what plants I get and where to put them. I think the temp tank will have a 4" pothos and maybe a brom. I do have an extra 55" PC bulb and ballast....hmmmm:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts