Dendroboard banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Fangs some organisms have diapaus periods where they are suspended in a developmental form. And oocysts which have a durable outer structure that can withstand hardships of dessication and even certain chemicals.

We have all abbreviated safety periods at one time or another. For our own measured reasons or because it couldn't be helped.

I believe that there are many unknown or poorly understood pathogenic processes and bacterial, fungal, viral, protozoic forms.

It could be an exciting thing to start over. Not a drag. Some new Viv strategy may have genesis and be better than you expected.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One of the reasons I am so reluctant to tare it down is because it is my first tank and it was a labor of love. However I’ll do whatever it takes for my frogs. The scape was killer and the plants were doing amazing. I actually had the breeder say that my tank was better than some genuine pros which just made my heart soar. If it has to be done though it has to be done.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Well, its entirely up to you, and I get it. There are things you can't really duplicate. but remember the Zone when you were making it - that is what returns and an approach takes form and you find yourself in another environment creation.

By starting again your giving yourself the opportunity to develop. You may even forget what was so great about the first one as the new ones features take its place.

And when you get your new frogs you will be able to enjoy them without attributing behaviors or a speck of pale leaf litter on a flashing flank to a node or something.

Its a real possibility you will be most pleased.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, its entirely up to you, and I get it. There are things you can't really duplicate. but remember the Zone when you were making it - that is what returns and an approach takes form and you find yourself in another environment creation.

By starting again your giving yourself the opportunity to develop. You may even forget what was so great about the first one as the new ones features take its place.

And when you get your new frogs you will be able to enjoy them without attributing behaviors or a speck of pale leaf litter on a flashing flank to a node or something.

Its a real possibility you will be most pleased.
I should scrap the hard scape such as wood and ebiweb correct?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I should scrap the hard scape such as wood and ebiweb correct?
Or could I boil and bleach it
And or freeze it
If it were me I'd start from scratch. That means everything with the exception of the tank pretty much. I'd have reasonable confidence in cleaning and sterilizing a glass tank, but wood, dirt, plants, organic material, inert clay, I wouldn't have enough confidence in its sterilization to reuse. Repurpose at your own risk. What you propose may work....it may not. Would suck to break your setup down, reuse some things, only to find yourself in the same position a couple months from now.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I personally would try my best to eliminate all the possible contributing causes to the deaths. These cases in which there are no glaring red flags are the most challenging to deal with, I think.

(1) Make sure that all materials used in the viv are properly processed, though I doubt that simply not boiling leaves was an issue.

(2) Make sure the viv itself doesn't have any design flaws (which I think is what this thread has shown, that the viv itself doesn't have any shortcomings),

(3) Make sure you get healthy frogs to start with -- frogs that die a month in may well have come to you compromised. There is no way to know about the past frogs, but I personally would -- simply out of an abundance of caution -- perhaps source from a different vendor, and/or QT them first, and/or get the next frogs checked by a vet before they come out of QT.

If you have losses with subsequent frogs, a necropsy would be in order.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts