Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here’s my predicament:

I’ve had an expo terra for 5 months (4 months fully setup)
I’ve never boiled the leaves, wood, nor bleached any of the existing plants
I’ve gotten plants from numerous suppliers and taken many out
Both of my Yellowhead Benedicta have died (the first assumed the prostrate stress position and died, the second I do not know but after completely gutting my tank down to the small cuticle leaf litter and a single plant I did not find her leading me to think that she had decomposed) the male died 1 month into being inside the tank and that was also when I last saw the other frog. (I just refer to them as male and female but they were both well started froglets)
I’ve already bleached all of the plants and put them into a qt

My question is

Should I completely gut my tank to the glass and start over or put my plants back into the tank and let it rest for at least a month

I’m not sure if they died of a sinister cause such as a disease, pathogen, parasite

I did not boil the leaves (a beginner mistake)

The frogs were fed amply

I’m not sure if the plants introduced anything into the tank but I did find orange and white spores here and there in the tank and some of the broms had odd sores.

Thoughts?

I plan on adding four Pampa Hermosa to the tank at some point.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Can you share a picture of the whole setup? Just to rule out other possible issues as well. Without seeing any pictures I would say gut it as you don't know what sort of nasties might have made it's way in. What sort of wood are you using and where did it come from (online/local store, or from outside)?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Can you share a picture of the whole setup? Just to rule out other possible issues as well. Without seeing any pictures I would say gut it as you don't know what sort of nasties might have made it's way in. What sort of wood are you using and where did it come from (online/local store, or from outside)?
I agree with this ^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Gut it. Sanitize and rest it. Get new stuff following the standard protocols.

It is the prudent side to err, and a purge of residual worry hanging over the new project and its subject will tend to the keeper as well as the kept.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I agree with a teardown if a pathogen was suspected; bleaching plants only to return them to the same viv isn't useful.

More so, though, I suspect something was amiss that pics (and a detailed description of practices such as feeding, supplementing, misting, daily parameters, and the like) could help diagnose. At least 90% of deaths have environmental or dietary causes, I'd estimate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most recent shots

I fed daily rotating dendrocare, and all of the ranarium products.

I misted four times daily 10 secs every 4 hours with a mistking

temps were always low 70’s constantly through the day

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I found one of the bodies he was severely emaciated, I feed 15-20 flies per frog and had four different isopod species in the tank

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
It is good exercise to trouble shoot on progressive platforms of discussion.

But the nature of the beast is myriad with co morbidities, vast disease processes and missing pieces.

The precautionary principle always includes pathogenic risk good encl or bad. Unless a mechanical cause of death is clear. Heatwave, injury .. even drowning can decieve in presentation with animals passing away in the water seeking fluids resource in an electrolyte catastrophe as organs fail.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
What was the ventilation? That misting schedule doesn't allow any dry time, really.

the male died 1 month into being inside the tank and that was also when I last saw the other frog.
The reason I’m suspicious of it not being a pathogen is that they died relatively far apart
I can't reconcile these two statements. What am I missing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the male died around 1 month after being in the tank. The other frog was still alive as well but that was the last time I saw her. I have an exo terra with a screen lid and vented doors. Also the misting schedule was not completely the same as I changed it and tweaked it.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
A full screen top, or partially covered?

Also, is the spot light an LED?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
There can be no reliable diagnose here, no matter how long this goes on of why your frogs died. Nothing stands out beyond a limber speculative here and there, which doesnt end up going anywhere.

A better question would be identifying what would be the reason for not going forward, cleanly.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I agree that a pathogen cannot be ruled out. I'd tear down, bleach or bake everything that will take it, and discard everything that cannot.

Reactions: varanoid

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you want to play it safe tear it down and start over. But, in all honesty you are more than likely fine reusing it as is. Most of our frog deaths are husbandry related not some disease or parasites. In my opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts