Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got a 36x18x18 vivarium and I looking to make it a nice Leucomela display tank. Its a front opening viv, but it doesnt have that front vent exo terras and zoo meds do. Previous owner used it for a bearded dragon, and I think its from the Petsmart "Thrive" brand desert terrarium kit (Im not really sure how to include images here but if you look up thrive desert kit from Petsmart its the same one).

How essential is the front vent? I plan on making a glass top with a strip vent at the front anyways. I got it for really cheap, and I could just put it back up on craigslist and get a 24x18x24 exo terra.

There is also only about 4" between the bottom of the doors and bottom of the tank, would that be enough space for the substrate and egg crate false bottom?

This is not my first viv, but it will be my first one for dart frogs. Any other input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
So I recently got a 36x18x18 vivarium and I looking to make it a nice Leucomela display tank. Its a front opening viv, but it doesnt have that front vent exo terras and zoo meds do. Previous owner used it for a bearded dragon, and I think its from the Petsmart "Thrive" brand desert terrarium kit (Im not really sure how to include images here but if you look up thrive desert kit from Petsmart its the same one).

How essential is the front vent? I plan on making a glass top with a strip vent at the front anyways. I got it for really cheap, and I could just put it back up on craigslist and get a 24x18x24 exo terra.

There is also only about 4" between the bottom of the doors and bottom of the tank, would that be enough space for the substrate and egg crate false bottom?

This is not my first viv, but it will be my first one for dart frogs. Any other input would be appreciated.
I googled it. I've never seen a commercially made front opening terrarium without a front vent. What a weird design choice.

As for the depth of the tank glass, you can make it work. My false bottom is usually about 1.5-2" in height with the substrate on top of that. What you can do is slope the substrate so that there's a couple of inches deeper substrate at the back of the terrarium (this also makes the frogs easier to see if they're at the back of the terrarium ;-) ), you'd end up with 1-2" of substrate at the front and 4-5" deep of substrate at the back.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a link, for anyone who wants a peek:

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/st...-desert-essentials-kit---40-gallon-54712.html

Does it hold water? I assume so, but it doesn't claim to.

A strip of screen on top isn't going to vent, really; there isn't anywhere for air to come in, then go out, unless you force it to with a fan.

You could drill some vents into the sides near the bottom.
So far, its holding water. I'm going to leave it in there for another day or so just to make sure.

Should 2" holes on either side near the bottom be enough? I might do that and add a fan as well. I've been looking into airflow for vivariums and its boggling my mind rn.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 35g old school hex tank. The entire top is glass with 2 2" holes drilled in it. A cpu fan in one of the holes on a timer sucking air out keeps the glass clear and provides good air flow. I just had to play with the times. Wiring it up was easy with some thrift store rectifiers, the power supply to modems or what ever. You can play with different voltages to get them quieter or moving less air.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts