Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this site and considering getting into PDFs. I have been lurking/reading for a few weeks, and I am interested in Surinam Cobalts, as they seem to be bold, appropriate for beginners, and I love their coloring.

My question is this: Where is a suitable location for the vivarium? On this board I have been introduced to the concept of a "frog room", and I do not have such a location. What is the purpose of a "frog room"?

My preferred location would be right out in our living room. My intent would be to fill the viv with orchids as well as frogs (although the frogs would be the primary objective), and I would like to be able to see the results. The place I have in mind would be right near the TV, so it has the potential to be noisy at times. I also have two small children and a dog (I would probably get a lockable tank to prevent access to the kids). My concern is that this would be too high-stress for the frogs. Our activity in the room is pretty well focused around 5-9pm, and the place would be quiet otherwise (work, sleep, etc...).

Does anyone have any experience with vivariums out in relatively high traffic areas? Does it stress the frogs, or do they adapt? Is a dedicated frog room a requirement, or just a nice-to-have?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
A "frog room" is something that most of us only dream of... a room full of frogs! :)

A frog room is not a necessity...just a luxury. If you are only keeping a tank (or a few) of frogs, you can keep them wherever you like. I keep my couple of tanks in my computer/diningroom because that's where I spend the majority of my time. I can watch them throughout the day when I'm not working (and sometimes when I should be working!). If you are thinking about a fairly noisy room, you may want to consider the species. Some frogs are shyer than others and would prefer a quieter surroundings. Even with my yellow heads, one frog remains out and about no matter what is going on while the other tends to hide in the cocohut if it's very noisy. (after she pokes her head out to see what's going on! lol!)

Edit: My computer room can become very noisy. This is where all of the company comes to visit...the kids are in and out...everything pretty much happens here. I try to hide...but they all find me!

·
Registered
343 Posts
We keep several tanks of frogs (leucs) and froglets (azureus) in our living room and they do fine. The leucs are breeding like crazy for us and the azureus are eating, growing and out a bunch. It's our main room so it gets a good amount of noise and traffic. As for a frog room, well we have one of those too! Darts are wickedly addictive :) Welcome to the hobby!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I personally think it's _preferrable_ to keep your frogs in high traffic, noisy areas. This goes double for shier species. When the frogs are subject to lots of external movement and noise they seem to become accustomed to it, then when you get your face close to the tank to enjoy your frogs they don't run away (at least not quite as much).

Go for the living room display vivarium.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I don't think it matters much where the tank is located. The frogs will become accustomed to movement after a while. It's not like they live in a completely silent bubble in their natural habitat... the rainforest is pretty loud and is bustling with life.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I keep almost all of my frog tanks in the kitchen/ family room area where everyone can see them. They adapt just fine. In fact, my shyest frogs, variabilis, are one of the few I keep in my room where they probably see a person only 1-2x per day.
Bryan

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I think what's more important is where you can supply a nice stable temperature. I could never keep mine in the living room as my wife likes to open all the windows when she is cooking. This makes for a pretty chilly living room during a Colorado winter! I've actually considered making a dual pane, insulated vivarium for upstairs! I do agree that for those who can put them in a higher traffic area, your frogs will be bolder because of it.
Doug

·
Registered
88 Posts
cobalts are great
mine are so bold
they spend all their time looking at whoever is looking in. when u go near the tank they hop over for a visit. they even like the cat.

they r in my living room. i have 5 dogs and 2 cats and the dogs bark and make alot of noise plus tv going ppl etc and my frogs are not bothered by it at all.

when i open the tank i have to poke them with a finger to make them move away from the opening. even with that they look at me like wth r u doing in my tank.

my cobalts are active all day long.
you will love those frogs.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My cv imitators were somewhat shy until I decided to put them in my livingroom where there is the most traffic. They are now much bolder. I did the same with my auratus with the same result.

·
Registered
752 Posts
they will definitly do fine in high traffic areas...proof....i have a tank that had two azureus in the living room. They became acustomed to the noise and movement quick, now they put their front legs up on the glass waiting for food. Since i moved them into my "frog room", they had two wild babies in the tank. These two babies are impossible to catch because they are not used to me being there. They book it as soon as i enter the room, while their parents sit and wait. Same viv different personalities, the only thing i can attribute it to is their lack of exposure. I would say they are just yyoung and skittish, but the adults were fine by this age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts