Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 gal. Tank. I love how it looks now, and hate to cover the moss with leaves. But I will If I have to. He seems to be perfectly happy and healthy but I want an experts opinion. I was thinking of getting a female but I think the tank is too small. Is it and will he be ok alone?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
more plants! Did I miss what frogs you plan, or other than the forum title Mantella? Do they need a coco hut?From the very little I've read/seen--they like to climb and hide...so you may want to do a little work on hides, background--I also love moss, but have made lots of ledges and "holes"--with the LED lights, the moss and the plants seem to do well...good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Lathrup Village, MI. It's about 20-30 mins from where you are in Auburn Hills. I read that they need 5 gallons minimum since they stay fairly small. I bought the tank at the show because it was already grown in and seeded with springtails and isopods and I liked how it looked. I left it exactly how it was when I bought it. They're painted mantellas. I'm not sure if they need the coconut hut, but I keep them in a lot of my tanks because I like how they look. I can add some more plants if I need to. I like a lot of the smaller bromeliads and ferns. Would I kill the moss if I took a little chunk out of it to plant a new plant? I do have some cork bark that I could add to give them something to climb on until I place an order online for some wood and plants after Christmas. I'm not very good with backgrounds, and there's not much space for one. Plus, I'd have to take the tank apart completely which I don't want to do if I can avoid it. :)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Leaf litter and more plants. Leaf litter especially, I know the moss may look nice to you, but the frogs will prefer leaf litter for hiding, grazing, etc. I would recommend you cover at least half of the floor with 1-2 inches of dead leaves.
Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts