Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be getting my tank soon, and have a couple of options.
  • 29 gallon with the full hood, dimensions approx. 30"x13.5"x17", price is $109.99 (CDN)
  • 37 gallon with the full hood, dimensions approx. 30"x13.5"x21", price is $129.99
  • 50 gallon with full hoods (two for length of tank), dimensions approx. 48"x13.5"x17", price is $169.99

Would the 37 gallon be too high? Is the 50 gallon too long?
This is my first one, and I want to make it good. (I don't want to just start with a small one because I plan on keeping this around for a while).

What do you think?

-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Price seems very steep. This is for a viv right? Are you sure those are the hoods you want for frogs because the ones coming from petstores are usually more for fish. I bought a 30 gallon (36" X 12" X 16") for only $45 and paid $10 to have glass cut for the lid. Let me know if I am thinking of a different setup than you.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Try swap meets, garage sales, and local reptile shows. You can usually get a good deal on a used tank. At the last show I went to, I picked up 2 29 gallon tanks for $5 each.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tanks are all for fish tanks, and so are the hoods, but I am going to be getting either plexi or glass for the top, so the fish hoods won't be a problem. Also, the prices are Canadian.
-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Don't waste your time with plexiglass. Unless you buy it in extreme thickness, it will warp with a light on top of it. At the point where it will no longer warp, it's just cheaper to go with glass anyway. My local glass shop made lids for my 18 gallon tanks (silicone hinge, knob and everything) for $15 each.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't know how crafty you are, but you can make a viv yourself that is fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have found that PetSmart has great prices on glass tanks.
I picked up a couple of 20 gallon tanks the other day for
$37.00 each. I thought that they were 29 gallon tanks when I bought them...... :oops:

I believe that the 29 gallon tanks were about $40 to $45 a piece with hoods and light.

Looking at the PetSmart website there are a few stores in BC.

Later,
Brad

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arklier - Would glass still be less expensive if I wanted to get a rectangle cut out of it in the middle? (for the screen where the UV light will be)

Fleenor1 - Those prices were from Petsmart. I have a Petsmart about 15min away.

Everyone - Getting back to topic, no comments on tank sizes?

Thanks
-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'm not sure how much more expensive it would be to have a rectangle cut out, but I'm positive a glass specialty store would know how to do it. Especially if one side backs up against an edge such as the stationary part of the lid. Most of the ones around here charge so much for the glass, and then so much per cut. More cuts = more $.

As for tank size, go with the biggest one you can afford and have space for. Though you might want to look into a tank that maybe has more depth. It gives you more flexibility with decor placement such as plants, rocks, and wood. 13.5" isn't much, and it will be at least 1" less if you decide to put any kind of background in it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 50 gallon it is then.
I'll look around to see if I can get a better price, but that sounds pretty good to me.

Regarding the glass, here is a "diagram" of what I was thinking.

| | | |
| | | |
| -------------------------------- |
| |
| |
----------------------------------------

If I get the 50gallon, I would actaully need two of those, dimensions would be approx. 23"x13.5".

I think about it, if I get the 50, I will need to save for a while to buy more stuff :D . Gotta hate the darn budget.

-Beeswaxx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts