Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 30 Gal. and I am just finishing my first vivarium but before I get plants in and then later, darts, I was wondering if I could use the hood that came with my tank, which is a plastic hood typically found on fish aquariums? I know I should try to get a glass top as soon as possible but was wondering if a plastic one will work. The hood also came with a light, which is a 120 VAC, 60 Hz, 20 W. I was wondering if this fluorescent light will put out enough light or if I need to get another one.
Thanks for any help,
Paul

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was wondering if this fluorescent light will put out enough light or if I need to get another one.
These light set-up work just fine but I highly recommend replacing the "stock" bulb with an upgraded flourecent. I personally like the LifeGlo lights sold at all Petco's.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use the stock aquarium hood and lights....
I am sure that someone will flame me but, I get great plant growth with the cheap lights. I do have a few fruit fly escapes but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Paul,

The light that came with your aquarium will work. Consider what types of plants and placement of them to optimize the light you will have available. Keep an eye on the humidity levels since you won't have the viv as tightly sealed and make sure that any small openings in the top are sealed, particularly if you are thinking about obtaining froglets. You'd be amazed at the holes those guys can squeeze through and the result isn't very good. As for FF escapes, well those seem to come with the hobby. Good luck and let us see what your viv looks like when it's done.

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll try to fill up the holes to the best of my ability. I have been running the light a couple days and I think my big problem is going to be keeping temps up. I'll prolly buy a heat mat and stick it underneath. The temps range from 62ish to 75ish day and night. My background and substrate come in on Fri. so maybe this weekend I can get my viv up and running. Thanks for the help,
Paul

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Paul,

It's pretty easy closing the holes. We've used painters masking tape with good success....perhaps not the most elegant solution but it is durable and not permanent if you need to change things around. Your temps don't sound too bad so you may want to reconsider the heating mat...I'm not sure it will really add warmth through your substrate anyway. I find if you can get the humidity up that the viv will stay pretty warm through the night. Most people have to worry about the viv getting too hot due to lights, house heat and so on.

Bill

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
pwat said:
I guess I'll try to fill up the holes to the best of my ability. I have been running the light a couple days and I think my big problem is going to be keeping temps up. I'll prolly buy a heat mat and stick it underneath. The temps range from 62ish to 75ish day and night. My background and substrate come in on Fri. so maybe this weekend I can get my viv up and running. Thanks for the help,
Paul
Those temps look pretty good for PDF to me. I wouldn't mess with heating it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay, I just saved a bunch of money on my dart tank by not switching to a heat mat! (Corny, i know). That is great that my temps are fine, I thought they had to be consistantly higher. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts