Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am currently in the planning stages of setting up a new dart frog tank. I have set-up several in the past but this one I want to be more cost effective instead of just buying stuff. If anyone can give me information on the following items as to where I can fine them for the cheapest that would be great. Thanks for any info. I also should add that I am also looking for quality products.

-Tree fern
-Misting Nozzles
-PC lights
-Plants

Also maybe some suggestions would be nice also such as, how much light?, what kind of moss grows best?, certain bromeliads that don't get huge. Any info again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on, thanks for the links I will be checking these out. Any ideas about what kind of moss I should stick with?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Another good source for PC lighting is Ebay, I have seen good prices on Coralife and Jebo power compact lights. I've been tempted, but my current lighting seems to be sufficient.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If you can keep it wet enough java moss would be your best bet.

G

·
I have extra
1-55watt Bright Kit™fromwww.ahsupply.com(new still in box)- $35 2 -15x23 Tree Fern Plaque fromCalwest Tropical, Inc- $9 each
also 36 watt 6700K Compact Bulbs - $14 each

If you interested E-mail me [email protected]

jkinsey said:
Hello,
I am currently in the planning stages of setting up a new dart frog tank. I have set-up several in the past but this one I want to be more cost effective instead of just buying stuff. If anyone can give me information on the following items as to where I can fine them for the cheapest that would be great. Thanks for any info. I also should add that I am also looking for quality products.

-Tree fern
-Misting Nozzles
-PC lights
-Plants

Also maybe some suggestions would be nice also such as, how much light?, what kind of moss grows best?, certain bromeliads that don't get huge. Any info again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
bgexotics said:
Another good source for PC lighting is Ebay, I have seen good prices on Coralife and Jebo power compact lights. I've been tempted, but my current lighting seems to be sufficient.
I've found some great deals (for lighting) on Ebay as well, this link will take you to where the good stuff is:
http://home.listings.ebay.com/Fish_Ligh ... ngItemList

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
PC lights

A friend just bought a 24" power compact with 6700K bulb (Freshwater) at Sherman Tanks on 72nd and Federal for $70, and that's their normal price. It seems like they have GREAT deals on all their supplies! Definately worth checking out!

MIKE

·
Registered
129 Posts
misting nozzles...

I offer those same misting nozzles (as are being offered at "mistking" mentioned above. They are 2.49 to 1.49, depending on how many you order, as opposed to 3.49 at the mistking site! There nozzle assemblies look cool, but at almost $20 each, they should be!!
Good luck with your tank!
http://www.saurian.net

Patrick

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Patrick,

Unless you've got the absolute same suppliers as Marty (MistKing), you do not have the same nozzle assembly or nozzles.

The nozzle tips he uses are not the same ones as most other nozzles use (KES). I know how to get KES nozzle tips for a lot less than either of you are offering nozzle tips for.

I am neither saying they're better or worse - just likely that they are not the same.

I would like to try Marty's some time to see how good they are.

s

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
The nozzle Marty uses is from a completely different company.

I sound like a stockholder or something - I'm not.

They're "dripless", which seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference to me. But maybe it makes a difference to other folks.

Anyway - not the same company as the rest of the nozzles use (KES).

s
Derek Benson said:
I believe it's called resale. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Scott, I wasnt saying I had the same nozzle asssembly, I definitely dont. As I say, they look nice, but in most applications arent needed....but nice to have as an option.
I was saying I had the same nozzles, but that was based on appearance, so I am willing to concede that they are quite likely not the same.
I have only had one person complain that the misting nozzles dripped, but that person was using them to cool his outdoor patio!
The frogs dont mind a few drips after it shuts off!

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
I agree Patrick - I don't really see the need for dripless. But I know Marty is using dripless, and it definitely costs more, so I just though I would point that out.

s

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey guys,
Yes they're different nozzles then the ones available from Patrick. For the most part it's not a big deal if your tanks are drained, I noticed on a larger systems though, it takes a few minutes before the pressure is completely released in the lines and I found the slow drip a bit annoying. Not all my tanks are drained that are connected to the mister. I'm up to 50 nozzles in my setup. I'm running my mister at 150psi so there is quite a build up in the 200+ feet of tubing and manifold that I have. IMHO it makes quite a difference at least for me. On a small system with 10-15 feet of hosing probably not as much, nevertheless once you go dripless you never go back :lol: (I kinda with that rhymed)

Marty

PS> btw, without demoting my own stuff, these are not completely drip less. There may be few drops right after the misting is finished. There is no sputter though. I like to call them "drip reduced, sputter less" :? . I think the flow to the nozzle is shut off at about 20 or so psi. As my setup is coming down in pressure after misting is done, I'll get between 1-5 drops on different misting nozzles...After that it's shut off and nothing drips or sputters.

The way I look at it, it's something different that I made available in the hobby and everyone can choose for themselves which system they like. I don't intend to shove it down people's throats (not suggesting that PN is doing that either with his system). I'm sure as more people purchase it, there will be an opinion formed about it and some may find it useful and some might not. Oh...well... works for me. I don't intend to retire from mistking :wink:

Scott said:
I agree Patrick - I don't really see the need for dripless. But I know Marty is using dripless, and it definitely costs more, so I just though I would point that out.

s

·
Registered
141 Posts
Like Marty said they really don't have a sputter at the end of the shot.
they also definitely aren't dripless, but are A LOT better than most other nozzles. I'm definitely very glad I got the better nozzles, not that it would have truly made a huge difference, I just like to do things the best way I can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts