Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that in 2 weeks I am going to have to be out of town for at week.
I have 5 frogs and I am wondering if they would be okay if i fed them before i left and then again as soon as I get back.

or are there better ways to do this?

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you have someone who can check on them every other day then I would do that. If you don't, then I would heavly feed way before I left, so they put on some weight. Then I would also feed right before I leave. A week would be a stretch , but they would prob be ok.
Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
When I have left for that long I do a few things:
-Close all vents off so no outside air can get in the tank - this keeps the humidity up
-Add a small, shallow water dish to the tank so the frogs can soak if the humidity dips down
-Lower the photoperiod if your lights will heat up the tank too much
-Dump in a ton of dusted flies and keep a piece of banana in the viv so the flies will congregate near it, and the flies won't be crawling all over the frogs
-Mist the crap out of the tank right before you leave
-Feed the frogs heavily the week before you leave so they can put on some weight... FF larvae or termites are a good food for bulking frogs up like this.

That's about it. I'm not a fan of putting in a producing culture of flies - it just makes me nervous for various reasons. Good luck!

·
Registered
503 Posts
The best thing to do is get a frog sitter. I left for a two week vacation last year. Made up some cultures and poked holes in them to let flies out. Misted and fed heavy before I left. Came back with seven casualties!:( They were mostly azerues froglets. I was surprised all 6 of my newly morphed bri bri survived. So frog sitter is the way to go! If no sitter, then time to go to plan B.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hmm, I often go a week without feeding my frogs. I would be more concerned with humidity. If you have a misting system that eleviates a lot of the problem. I don't put producing cultures in the tank but I will stuff a film can half way with banana and lay it on its side in the leaf litter. FF's and Springtails will congregate and reproduce here. If you do this a few days before you leave there will be plenty of maggot snacks and easy to find springs for your frogs while you are gone.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Most of the time, the frogs are fat enough to survive a week without any feedings (In fact most of the frogs in the hobby are obese). If you have microfauna in the tanks, this can sustain frogs fairly well.. These are not mammals or birds.. They do not need to be fed even close to daily.....

As an example this is a picture of a pumilio that has only been fed once a week for over a year now...

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Most of the time, the frogs are fat enough to survive a week without any feedings (In fact most of the frogs in the hobby are obese). If you have microfauna in the tanks, this can sustain frogs fairly well.. These are not mammals or birds.. They do not need to be fed even close to daily.....

As an example this is a picture of a pumilio that has only been fed once a week for over a year now...
good gosh man! what are you feeding that frog once a week to make he/she so big! LOL

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
He (yes it is a calling male), is fed dusted flies once a week and the rest of the time, he is feeding on the microfauna in the tanks. It takes about 4 days before I don't see any fruit flies on the feeding stations and I'm not tossing in a huge amount of flies.

Ed

·
Registered
580 Posts
As Ed said your frogs should be fine. I just left for 11 days and never had anyone feed or spray my frogs. I did put a small piece of banana in each tank a couple days before I left and even when I came back there was still a few flies around the tanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
[That's about it. I'm not a fan of putting in a producing culture of flies - it just makes me nervous for various reasons. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Your fears are valid.. I lost a beautiful red galact leaving a fruit fly culture open in it's vivarium over a weekend. Upon my return it must have gotten entagled in the excelsior and was stuck on the bottom (fruit fly mix) and perished.

Peter Keane

·
Registered
553 Posts

I've been saying the same thing.. it's hard to explain to people that the fat/plump (to be more politically correct) frog they display is not so very healthy.. even ads state 'fat healthy frogs'. I have found that 'fat/plump' frogs are less active and lumber around the vivariums rather than a slimmer (more natural) frog actively hunting, courting.. I too feed my frogs less food every third day and most importantly a varied diet. Breeding season I increase the quantity of foods to help in the added activity of the frogs.

Beautiful frog btw.. VERY RED!!..

Peter Keane

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you have larger frogs, you can put a culture in with them, and poke small holes in the lid. I would never put in a culture with the lid off. But really, like several people said, a week isn't long. I'd dump a bunch of flies in there and it should be fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone who gave their opinion. I am now feeling pretty good about leaving them for a week.

I think im going to place some banana slices in just to be sure, though I believe some of my frogs may classify as fat lol.

Someone mentioned about watching the humidity. I will probably place a petri dish or some type of shallow dish with some water in to help maintain a higher humidity.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Beautiful frog btw.. VERY RED!!..

Peter Keane
Hi Peter,

It has been getting astaxanthin for several years now. For the last year, I've been using the Repashy products with it.

Ed

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thank you everyone who gave their opinion. I am now feeling pretty good about leaving them for a week.

I think im going to place some banana slices in just to be sure, though I believe some of my frogs may classify as fat lol.

Someone mentioned about watching the humidity. I will probably place a petri dish or some type of shallow dish with some water in to help maintain a higher humidity.
If the viv is sealed with a glass lid (all mine are)....humidity shouldn't be a problem either......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the viv is sealed with a glass lid (all mine are)....humidity shouldn't be a problem either......
I have 2 that are in a viv. The other four are in shoe containers due to the fact that I dont have any more tanks.

Ed I have read about the repashy products that are used to brighten the colors but people have only mentioned using them for reds yellows and oranges. Do they have the same effect on blues?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
\Ed I have read about the repashy products that are used to brighten the colors but people have only mentioned using them for reds yellows and oranges. Do they have the same effect on blues?
You can't supplement for blue as the blue coloration isn't due to sequestered pigments like carotenoids or stored pigments like pterins. Blue is the result of iridiopores reflecting the blue end of the spectra back through the skin. This is why the blue isn't affected by diet. You can modify purples by increasing the reds or greens through the yellows (assuming it is due to sequestered carotenoids). Metallic colors are also a result of iridiopores and not carotenoids or pterins.

Ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts