Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while putting some springtails into one of my viv's I accidently dumped about half the charcoal from the culture into the tank... oops. I was contemplating either leaving it in there or taking it out and putting it back in the culture.

Does the charcoal pose any threat to the frogs if I leave it in?

Will it ruin my springtail culture if I put it back in there?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
cover it with leaf litter and leave it. It is in a lot of soil mixes anyway. You WILL contaminate you culture if you put it back in culture.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I can only imagine that half a culture of charcoal might spoil the looks of a viv, so if it happened to me I would go ahead and put it back into the culture. I wouldn't worry about it ruining the springtail culture. Put it back in, feed them, they will be booming again in no time. (*edit..just saw Doug's reply and he has much more experience than I, so maybe it is something to worry about.)

I have started feeding out springs a little differently the past few months and have found it to be much more effective. Instead of 1 large culture I keep 5 smaller ones. I only keep half an inch or so of water in the bottom of the culture. When it is time to feed them out, I drain all that water into a cup, then dump the entire culture into a sifter and shake it over a little dish. After only a couple seconds the dish is full of springs and I dump the charcoal back into the culture container, pour the water on top of the charcoal, feed the springs, close the lid, take the dish to the viv and pour them into the tank.

Anyhow, just thought I would share as it will definately prevent you from filling your viv with charcoal. :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Errrrrrr?

So you want all the stuff in your viv to be in your culture?

Nematodes?
Snails?
Slugs?
Etc..
Nope...I was editing my post as you were posting this. But honestly, if it did happen to me, I would have pulled all the charcoal out and placed it back into my culture. But now if for whatever reason it does happen to me, I won't. Thanks guys and thanks DB!:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses! I will leave it in there... spread it around and cover it up with leaves. The frogs will have lots of bugs to eat now:) That's a good idea about pouring the water out to prevent this from happening again. Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If you need some more charcoal for your culture, go to Lowes and get Cowboy or Frontier real wood BBQ charcoal. Throw some in a pillowcase and hammer-ize it! Nice and cheap and works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts