Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally managed to set myself up to take take images with my digital camera on my microscope.

These pictures were taken 5 minutes after my alanis took a dump.

Stills wouldn't do justice to this individual. I chased him down though.

Here is the link

I will attempt to make a library of everything I find in the fecal samples and I'll post it up somewhere for all to see on my site. Would be nice to post things that are identified though.

Does anyone know what this is? I know that it's not a nematode.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Marty,

Fabulous! I also couldn't agree with you more in regard to having a site with pictures or video clips of internal parasites or nonliving matter - especially after the recent Frognet thread. If you don't mind posting, what type of microscope and digital recorder did you use?

Jon Werner

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wow. that was awesome.

Luke

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great shot!!
I've mentioned before that we need more microscope shots. Good work.

Regarding the actual footage, IMHO the organism moves more like a arthropod larvae than a nematode parasite. The limited anatomy I can see also reminds me of an arthropod organism, or perhaps an annelid. So, we might consider that this might be a commensal organism that got to the poop before you could film it. But I'm also willing to take your word that this was the super fresh poop, and keep an open mind as to what it could be. Any other opinions?

For what it's worth, looking at some of my fecals, I've come accross numerous creatures that I know could not have been frog borne, but were environmental critters doing their job. I'll try to catch some images.

Good film though.
vet_boy77

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'm glad you guys like it.

I used an old Carl Zeiss microscope from the 1950s, that I got from a professor at the university. I got it in pieces, took me few days to clean it and put it together. It was missing a lamp, but I managed to get a new one. It's a really good scientific microscope, I just need to take it apart again and clean all the lenses. 1st time I did it, I was in a rush to look at stuff and didn't do a thorough job.

Here is a pic of the microscope from my rack post

I borrowed an adapter from another prof, that miraculously fits my Canon G2 digital camera. I can record 30sec clips on it, so it came really handy for this. It would be hard to see this "bug" without the motion. It would look like a motionless tube.

As for the crap sample itself, I guess it might be possible that it's a larva that came from the enclosure and not from the frog. This alanis (CB btw) took a watery dump on a brom leaf. It's possible that she brought some water from the brom, etc. I'll try to see if there are any other arthropod/larvae in other fresh samples.

JWerner said:
Marty,

Fabulous! I also couldn't agree with you more in regard to having a site with pictures or video clips of internal parasites or nonliving matter - especially after the recent Frognet thread. If you don't mind posting, what type of microscope and digital recorder did you use?

Jon Werner

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe vet_boy77 was right. I think it is some type of a larva. I haven't had the time to play with my microscope. Otherwise call the guiness and tell them I found the smallest leech in the world :)

I'll try to put a section together on my website and start making a little library of crap images

nick65 said:
that was great..well done and very interesting!
from the movement it looked like a leech to me too..
nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.