Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
one tad per cup. There are species that can be raised communally but you need an aquarium in order to accomplish this. For the most part people stick with the one per cup deal to avoid aggression between tads and to avoid chemical growth inhibitors released by other tads. you also wont have competition between tads for recourses so you will have a larger rate of survival.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack here, but I had a little queston that I didn't feel it was big enough to start a whole thread for. How big do tinctorious tads get?

·
Registered
957 Posts
do you know the size of your garden tadpole? just a leopard frog tad or something? about that size. Around an inch long +/- a little and the body is around the size of a dime.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
do you know the size of your garden tadpole? just a leopard frog tad or something? about that size. Around an inch long +/- a little and the body is around the size of a dime.
Thanks, I just couldn't find anything about tadpole size on the internet. That's when dendroboard comes in handy. You could just ask your queston directly and have knowledgeable people answer it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have lucs & i am totaly new to the breeding part Ive heard it was ok for multiples per container but i don't want to danger them in any way

Thanks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have lucs & i am totaly new to the breeding part Ive heard it was ok for multiples per container but i don't want to danger them in any way

Thanks
I wouldn't ever put multiple tads together if you can keep from it. The risks involved do not outweigh the benefits involved with it. If you have one tadpole die from an unknown reason, it can kill many more tads before the cause is ever determined.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
I wouldn't ever put multiple tads together if you can keep from it. The risks involved do not outweigh the benefits involved with it. If you have one tadpole die from an unknown reason, it can kill many more tads before the cause is ever determined.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk
+1 on this. its not worth it, especially if you only have a few tads going its not that big a deal to keep them separate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328059167.793954.jpg

I have been keeping one per. In middle of their water change heres a few. :) plus 5 that are ready for a future home.

Thanks for the info all

·
Registered
957 Posts
Depends on the species.... anthonyi do really well communally, for example.
I dint know that, there you go.. learn something new everyday. I believe phyllobates can be communal also. Now most dendrobatidae, Oophaga, and rainitomeya are best raised alone correct?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
The problem with many dendrobatids is that they are fairly carnivorous as protein is deficient in thier tadpole deposition sites so larger tadpoles eat smaller tadpoles however you can reduce or eliminate this by adding a ready supply of animal protein. As an example, I was unable to get predation by ventrimaculatus even when they were housed as dense as 5 tadpoles in a large half filled yogurt cup as long as I kept a few live blackworms in the cup. I did see differences in metamorphing as even tadpoles from the same clutch would metamorph with as much as 90 days difference.

Ed

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The problem with many dendrobatids is that they are fairly carnivorous as protein is deficient in thier tadpole deposition sites so larger tadpoles eat smaller tadpoles however you can reduce or eliminate this by adding a ready supply of animal protein. As an example, I was unable to get predation by ventrimaculatus even when they were housed as dense as 5 tadpoles in a large half filled yogurt cup as long as I kept a few live blackworms in the cup. I did see differences in metamorphing as even tadpoles from the same clutch would metamorph with as much as 90 days difference.

Ed
I had a similar experience, I've raised lamasi/vents/variabilis/intermedius in groups of up to 3-4 (separated by species and clutch), no issues to speak of as I kept them fed. Typically I raise them separately but it worked just fine. Interesting point about the morph period length, most of mine came out somewhat near each other (I didn't record it but would say most within 2 weeks of each other, maybe 3 at most). I had them in 16oz deli cups, I have to wonder if that's what made the difference.

In practice, I usually go the single route with Ranitomeya, but don't see any issues with grouping them if it's done right. That being said, I wouldn't try it out if it was one of my first few times raising tads in general.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts