Dendroboard banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't see any front legs on the tadpole... It might be a while yet.
I hope not! The front legs aren’t elbows out on these pics. They are stretching the spiracle out. Their overall shape is changing, but it has been a while since I’ve raised a tadpole, so I’m a bit fuzzy in the memory department.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Azureus. Sorry, no thumbnails. It was a top choice of two family members for our first frog, so I had promised them at some point. This will be a fun project for me. I realize I will probably be splitting them up in temp growout bins until I decide on the pair of keepers.
I love Azureus they are so blue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gave them a bloodworm treat for the first time today. Will they eat baby brine shrimp (once they sink to the bottom)? I hatch them occasionally for my fish. I might try before the next clean.
be carful about that bloodworm they have tough skin and they can get constipated
give only as a treat and in small amounts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
be carful about that bloodworm they have tough skin and they can get constipated
give only as a treat and in small amounts.
Yea, they didn’t touch it, so I never tried again!

Reactions: FroggerFrog

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Get leucs. They are the dart frog superhero coaches of newbee success and good cheer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Strange story... last night before I went to bed I saw an elbow popping out of a spiracle. In the morning it was back in! I spent half the day driving to pick up the new vivarium and visiting a frogger friend. When I got home there was a nice, sturdy leg popped out! Such a tease!
#3 wins the race!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wow, it’s hard to lose an animal that you’ve invested so much time in and it was at the beginning of its life. Got home to find #6 dead. It had its front legs out, looked the same as the others. Just wasn’t meant to be. I buried it next to a blue tulip.

·
Super Moderator
2,061 Posts
Wow, it’s hard to lose an animal that you’ve invested so much time in and it was at the beginning of its life. Got home to find #6 dead. It had its front legs out, looked the same as the others. Just wasn’t meant to be. I buried it next to a blue tulip.
I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes they just don't make it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes they just don't make it.
Don't blame yourself, it happens all the time
Yea, I kinda knew something wasn’t right. It was the one with the tricolor tail. Up until a couple weeks ago it was the largest and fastest developer, then two shot ahead of it. It’s ‘snout’ looked just a little bit off, but nothing like a malformation that I could tell.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
A couple tails are getting pretty short! How do you go about letting them leave the water? I have about an inch of water in a 32oz deli cup tilted @ 45 angle. There is also some Christmas miss and a bit of Indian almond leaf in each cup. The two froglets I suspect will come out first always have their nose at the waters edge, but I haven’t seen them out yet. There are no frogs in the grow-out yet, so I could just leave them open in the viv, but am unsure of when to do that, or if I should use a smaller cup when the time comes? I’m stressed out about this more than I should be!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well within 15 minutes, and one has left it’s cup, now I’m officially terrified! I assume it will hide out in the leaf litter until it goes on the hunt in a few days time?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Correct. Are there springtails in the tank? (I'm assuming yes).
Yessir! It’s been bioactive for around five months. one of them is moving around tapping it’s toes and seems to lunge. Maybe strength training, lol? Both are out and about, haven’t gone into hiding yet.

Reactions: FrogMamma
21 - 38 of 38 Posts