Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if I would post about it yet, but I've succumbed to my inner madness and ordered tadpoles on a Black Friday deal. My wife was on board, and well, now I get to use the froglet viv soon and set up a new viv early next year! I got the cups ready a few days early so they had some time to grow a little biofilm. The foam pad is there because its an exterior wall and well, I can get a little paranoid over things and I'd rather be safe than sorry. The poster was a birthday present from a friend way back in high school! Two of those species are on my bucket list. I've been reading a ton on tad foods. And I'm planning on repashy soilent green as a staple. I have many types of fish foods, frozen blood worms, fruit flies, that I will vary the diet with. My goal is to get large, healthy froglets! When my frogs start breeding I want to attempt rearing in my 10 gallon aquarium, but I did not want to try it with bought tads. Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Good luck!

Which species tads are you getting?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Azureus. Sorry, no thumbnails. It was a top choice of two family members for our first frog, so I had promised them at some point. This will be a fun project for me. I realize I will probably be splitting them up in temp growout bins until I decide on the pair of keepers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tads came in last week. There was an issue with proper handling at an airport. Long story short, their water was in the 40s and six survived. Ive worked everything out with the vendor, and have felt bad that this happened.

Being excited and a little depressed at the same time, I may have missed one tad not looking so well. The front 1/3 of the tail is discolored and the transparent edge appears to be gone. It’s the best pic I can get, so the color is terrible, but you can at least tell there is a difference. I’m assuming exposure to cold may be the start of the end for this one. Is there anything I can do or add to it’s water? Has anyone seen this before?

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I'm sorry about the hitch in transport. :(

No idea about the pictured tad. Give it the best care you can, and he may tough it out. Best of luck. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upon closer inspection, the tail edge (for lack of a better term) is folded over, not missing. When I noticed it, it reminded me of Neapolitan ice cream. If it survives we shall name it Neo or Bonnie.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the tadpoles are doing great! The one that I was concerned about has been eating the most and has the most healthy bowel out of all, lol! I feed mostly repashy soilent green. I have also used repashy community plus, bug bites, and hikari vibra bites. Feeding happens after each cleaning. I use a pipette every other day to clean out the feces and uneaten food/leaf debris. Maybe two tablespoons of water taken out, then top it off with fresh RO, gradually increasing the water level each time. Two out of eight days (that's my week is 8 days long) after cleaning I put them near a sunny window for about 30 minutes so the Christmas moss can thrive. I know I might be over doing it. But I figured its my first attempt at dart tads, I paid for them, and this way I can monitor their development closely and take notes with what works best. For example, I have noticed their poos are very sturdy when eating soilent green compared to the other foods. Am I doing this right?

6 This is Neo/Bonnie

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gave them a bloodworm treat for the first time today. Will they eat baby brine shrimp (once they sink to the bottom)? I hatch them occasionally for my fish. I might try before the next clean.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Things are growing well, lol. Pretty much all the tads are close to 4cm in length. All have hind limb buds. Two have limbs with pigment so they look like miniature legs. The longest rear legs are around 1/8”. How large do azureus tads get?

I have changed their diet around a bit. I used to keep three containers of repashy in the fridge, soilent green, community plus, grub pie. Now I make one with this ratio 2 soilent green: 1 community+ : 1 grub pie. Feeding, cleaning out poop 3x/week. I top off with RO, and also tadpole tea with Indian almond leaves from treated tap water.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw, for the first time, some leg movement! Pretty cool seeing a tadpole move it’s tiny 3/16” legs around building strength!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Development is progressing! Not sure if I mentioned, but our house temps are in the mid-high 60s during the winter. The tads do get a boost in heat for a couple hours most days (all day when I have off work) by sitting on the fish tank. I'm not concerned with them taking longer, as they are large, eating consistently, and development is progressing. It is so hard to get good pictures, but I wanted to show how the rear legs are coming along. I can't wait until some color patterns develop!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Better pics taken with the fish light on top of the cups. They are in 32oz deli cups. What’s the average size of Azureus tads? These are monsters compared to some similarily developed tads that were DOA when ordered.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picture time! I’m seeing more leg use this weekend. The furthest two in development are starting to show some pattern develop. No blue yet, but it can’t be long!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts