Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 80 day old tinct tadpole that I’ve been looking at for a few days. It’s near morphing out and I could see it’s hands inside it’s body forming. I didn’t think anything about the fact that I could see into it’s belly and view all it’s organs. I realized that this tadpole has a giant hole ripped from gill to gill. I don’t know how it happened, just that it’s been like this for a few days now. He’s eating and moving fine and is still fat and active. Is this something that could possibly heal with time or should I just euthanize? He’s being reared alone in a deli cup with ro water and tadpole tea as well as AA leaves and Java.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I wish pics could be clearer. Its not you its difficult through glass and stuff.

How long has it been like that? The margins look nice for a tear or maybe its healing.

Its like everything is being held in place by thin wall of peritoneum. There are congenital anomalies where organs - usually malformed - are outside of the body.

It would be better if it were a tear imo.

Amphibians have remarkable regenerative capacities. Perhaps you should keep him clean and continue to document with photos.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish pics could be clearer. Its not you its difficult through glass and stuff.

How long has it been like that? The margins look nice for a tear or maybe its healing.

Its like everything is being held in place by thin wall of peritoneum. There are congenital anomalies where organs - usually malformed - are outside of the body.

It would be better if it were a tear imo.

Amphibians have remarkable regenerative capacities. Perhaps you should keep him clean and continue to document with photos.
I think dendroboards compresses pictures quite a lot too, I could make an imgur account eventually to post photo links to instead. Looking back in my camera roll I can see the tear was present Monday, however it could’ve been there even earlier. Looking at my photos from Monday to today, it doesn’t seem like it’s gotten smaller or larger. It’s definitely a tear, I’ve been watching my tadpoles all very closely since I don’t have many, didn’t notice any organs forming outside the body. I moved him to a bigger bin full of clean RO water and added some concentrated boiled tadpole tea, we’ll just have to see what happens from here

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just want to update that today the tadpole is still fine and the wound doesn’t look infected, it might even be slowly closing up but it’s too soon to tell, there are white borders around the opening of the hole as if it’s healing

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Thats good to hear. thats a big open plane there, its progress worth journaling.

Any ideas how it may have happened?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats good to hear. thats a big open plane there, its progress worth journaling.

Any ideas how it may have happened?
I have no idea, I’ve been monitoring all my tadpoles closely but didn’t notice this guy until monday, for all I know he had this wound longer though. I do 25% water changes every two days and try to remove all the debri with a blaster, so I don’t know if he just cut himself on a fresh leaf or got some sort of infection

1 - 7 of 7 Posts