Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use to make their tadpole tea? Such as leaves, moss, and other stuff. If we could get a list going of everyone's tadpole tea recipes that would be great.

I'm interested in seeing what works for everyone!

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's probably overkill, but I use blackwater extract (5ml to a gallon of H2O) plus a piece of Indian Almond leaf. The tea turns fairly dark after a few weeks, but you can just place a piece of Almond leaf in distilled, spring, or RO water and it will slowly turn into tadpole tea.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
----------------------------------------------------
Wendy's Tadpole Tea

1 Gallon Spring Water
4-6 Indian Almond Leaves

Add leaves directly to gallon of water. Shake every once in a while. When it turns tea-colored (about 1 week)...it's ready. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------

...actually for something so simple, it works pretty darn good! No mold issues whatsoever and the tads seem to love it. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Another vote for almond leaves and spring water. Sometimes I just break off a piece of leaf and shake it in water and let it soak in over days after tad is placed in or do same days before tad placed in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone! This is great info. I really appreciate it. I'm not sure which way I should go with this... it seems that everyone has their own special concoction that works! It is very interesting

·
Registered
588 Posts
:) basically r/o is no good because the intense flirtation. Spring water, aged tap water, well water, rain water are the things I have read others use. Some don't use tannins. I also throw in some type of moss or duck week
Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

·
Banned
777 Posts
I just boil tap water in a large pasta pot with a bunch of scrub oak leaves. I will add it to the spring water (arrowhead) that I use for the tinc, auratus, galac, and lamasi tads.
For anthoni tads I raise 5-10 together in a 190 oz container with the oak leaves at the bottom.

·
Registered
128 Posts
RO water is excellent because of the intense filtration. The water will dissolve more of the tannins and such from the leave(s). By the time you have a tadpole and food, and poop, etc in the water, it isn't RO water anymore, and not aggressive. After a few days of turning brown I often end up taking the leaf out because the water is getting dark.

If you are unsure try spring water for half your tads and RO water for half. See if tads do better in one water or the other. I always have preferred the softer water of RO rather than spring water. I have a better idea of what is in the water and whats not. Spring water can be lots of things, just depends on where it's bottled.

·
Registered
588 Posts
RO water is excellent because of the intense filtration. The water will dissolve more of the tannins and such from the leave(s). By the time you have a tadpole and food, and poop, etc in the water, it isn't RO water anymore, and not aggressive. After a few days of turning brown I often end up taking the leaf out because the water is getting dark.

If you are unsure try spring water for half your tads and RO water for half. See if tads do better in one water or the other. I always have preferred the softer water of RO rather than spring water. I have a better idea of what is in the water and whats not. Spring water can be lots of things, just depends on where it's bottled.
I personally believe R/O is no good mainly because its mineral/trace elements are removed with the filtration process.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Local pond water..... :) lol jk.....rain water with blackwater from a wood and leaf (indian almond leaves)tank. I use the tank for a few of my fish. Works great on tads. Plus its easy to control the ph.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I personally believe R/O is no good mainly because its mineral/trace elements are removed with the filtration process.

What exactly are these trace elements removed from the water that are beneficial to the tadpoles? What is the amount of minerals, trace elements, and contaminants that are contained in the spring water, and are these levels consistent from bottle to bottle? Does any of the components of the plastic bottle leach into the water? Do these leached component levels change with the age of the water in the container?

My point is you can start with better water, added black water extract, or make your own, controlling the quality of the water. Once you add substances to RO, distilled, or DI, the water is no longer 'pure'. It contains what more of what is thought to be positive for the tadpole, and less of unknown substances that may or not be beneficial to tadpole development.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have seen many hobbiests store their tad water in plastic containers. Like most water bottling companies...plastic bottles are used to store and ship (ex. Arrowhead, Sparklets). I only used R/O for my reef tank. I believe the trace elements that are in natural spring water help the developing tads. Now everyone has their own way and this is mine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts