Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got ideas from some people's tadpole tanks and so I just wanted to share my newest set up. Since water changes are a bit troublesome, I wanted to make one that's less maintenance. I hope you can be useful to someone.

20 gallon long with eggcrate cutouts for 14 yogurt cups. I have the drop in heater in the back set to 78 degrees.

The individual cups are simply yogurt cups with the bottom cut out. I used aquarium silicone to secure the mesh at the bottom. This will allow water for some water filtration.

The cups are suspended about 2" to 3" from the bottom of the tank to allow for better water movement.

You can see that some of the occupied yogurt cups already have algae growing.

Here is an empty one that has yet to be filled with gravel and water plant. (anacharis)

The current residents are 3 day old tinc tadpoles that are already eating.

This particular tad tank is at the bottom of my bedroom rack where I can keep a better eye on the newly hatched.

Has anyone had any luck using algae wafers as food for tads? I looked at the ingredients and it contains spirulina.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I REALLY like that idea and I believe I am going to copy it ;)

A few questions...

How many cups will it hold?

Is the eggcrate supported by itself, with those pieces i see along the side of the tank?

Is the splashing from the filter loud?

Thanks!

G

·
EricG,

Looks like a nice setup and I'm sure it will work out great for you...but a few things I wanted to point out. First it looks like all your tads share the same water. If one tad comes down with something and dies. the whole tank will come down with it. Also The water temp seems a bit high, will be interesting to see if you have problems with spindly.

My biggest problem with most of these setups is the amount of space that they take up....your getting 14 cups in 24" of space. I have over 70 single cups in that's same amount of space. granted that I have to change water once a week. But I don't run into issues with disease killing off an entire crop of tads. Right now 70 tads is no big deal and doesn't take to much time. But I know people that have over 300+ tads and it takes all night with two people to change out water....

There has to be an easier way to make a system that holds a larger amount of tads in the same space your using now. But keep all the tads separate and with their own water that doesn't flow into or containmenate other cups.

Like I said Eric....looks like a very nice setup just wish it held more tads and didnt have a community water source.

Matt

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to answer some questions...

Josh: Those are dual T8 daylight lamps on 4ft shop lights from home depot.

Aaron: I'm sure I can support more yogurt cups, but I dont want to overcrowd the tank. Right now, it holds 14. You're right... the eggcrate is supported by other attached pieces on the sides to keep it at a particular water level. The splashing does get a bit loud but when I have the cover on, it's muffled somewhat.

Dane: Yes, it's a bio wheel filter, but without the wheel. I dont know anything about carbon filtrations and how it affects tadpole development. If you can point me to some documentation, maybe I can read up. Thanks for the heads up.

Matt: Good point on the communal water source. I thought about that going into this, and I suppose it's a risk I'll be taking. Part of the reason why it's not overcrowded is that case and point exactly. I used treated tap water and black water extract. It has been filtered for over 2 weeks prior to adding any tadpoles. I really wanted algae to grow and try to stabilize the water. I've heard of breeders who dont even change the water AT ALL, and some who do.
The SLS concern seems like an issue every breeder deals with on way or another. I'm trully not experienced enough to know what will work for me. I guess I'll find out. I constantly dust my flies at feeding so hopefully the eggs/tads are healthy. There's so much people are saying about SLS that I'm not sure which to believe.

We'll find out. :D

Thanks all for your suggestions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That is pretty cool Erick!
I think that I will be using that idea as well.

As for the filtration goes....
I would use the filtration wheel with that type of filter. It acts as a biological filter..... Filtering out the amonia in the tank. Good bacteria grow on the paper in the wheel. I am pretty new at this but, I would think that is what you would really want to filter out most of all. Also keep the sponge in the filter to filter out any bigger particles.....

I have also read about carbon filtration being bad.
Here is a link that I found doing a search. Some people say it is bad, some don't. I don't know what the heck to believe.....
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=carbon

If you don't like that splashing of the filter water dropping that far into the tank just prop up a piece of wood or cork bark for the water to trickle down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts