Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
A few weeks back I received a ranitomeya variablillis southern tadpole. I did it, one because I found a liking in the frog, and also I thought if I ever wanted to breed frogs I would have an idea of what I was getting into.
The tadpole is seemingly doing well. I have had it since sept 29th 2020. I was informed by the breeder that it was around three weeks old. (Making it about 6 weeks old now) He is substantially larger than when I received him.
My main question is if I’m feeding the right food? I have been giving him Josh’s frogs tadpole pellets. (Which I assumed is ok since he is growing just fine)
The thing is, I read a really old forum on here that was saying lots of bad things about feeding pellets. I was wondering if maybe that info still stands today? Thanks
-Gus

Also he is in a large short deli cup with Indian almond leaves and Java moss.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I can't speak to what others use, but I've used tadpole bites pellets rolled in Sera Micron and have been happy with it so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
I've fed New Life Spectrum marine pellets to leuc tads for two years now, and they seem fine.

Reactions: Encyclia

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is Josh’s frogs pellets generally a pretty safe option?
While some of the advice given by their website is potentially suspect, I've not seen anyone say their products were unsafe. I haven't read anything bad about pellet food either though so /shrug. I will say fish food is one thing that has been changing over the years as people become more aware of the importance of some ingredients. The recipe a particular pellet used 10 years ago probably is not the same today (some better some worse).

Anyway since we are sharing food I don't mind mentioning I am feeding vibra bites to my first 9 tadpoles. I chose it because it was a higher protein option but also had 'color enhancers' which tends to mean carotenoids and spirulina which are good dietary additions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have something calf bug bites that is fish food. I don’t assume that is a good stand alone food but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When i raised pacific treefrogs from tads, i gave them boiled then frozen and defroated green leaf lettuce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts