Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I used 8 oz. deli cups for my tads, but I am considering something smaller, so I can have more tads in a smaller area. I have some 2 oz. cups that I use for spiders, I think they would be big enough, but has anybody else raised them in small container like these. I can add water daily, so evaporation isn't a big problem.

G

·
What kind of tads?
I raise vittatus, auratus, and even tincs tads in groups. So shoeboxes would work. I normally raise imitator and other thumbnails in 32 oz mason jars, but I know that is not the direction you want to head.
I don't see a problem with the 2 oz cups, but I would think you would have to do daily water changes.
You could always do the tadpole barn, and just mount them to the walls.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now they are leucs, green and bronze auratus, and anytime my cobalt tincs, blue and black auratus, and my imitators should start laying. Then I have a bunch of other froglets, and juveniles that will lay probably in the next year. So I am going to try and save as much space as possible. I have had a problem with canabilism (sp?) with auratus. I though about using those nut and bolt organizers with like 100 drawers on each, but all the ones I found had hole in the bottom of the drawers. I guess I will try the 2 oz. cups and see how often I have to water changes, if it gets to be too much work I wil change back to the 8 oz. deli cups.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
geckguy said:
I though about using those nut and bolt organizers with like 100 drawers on each, but all the ones I found had hole in the bottom of the drawers.
You can plug the holes with a dab of silicone.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks arklier.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
They look almost like those Ziplock plastic containers. We have tons of those, so I was thinking about that. I'd rather have lids on them, though. Just punch/drill/melt a hole in the side of them for air exchange, and instant stackable individual tads!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have lids for my 2 oz. containers so when they do start to morph I can lower the water level and put a lid on top so it doesn't climb out. I have a book shelf that I am using for them, their is three shelves and each one can hold 27 cups so that is 81 cups, without stacking them. If I stacked them I could fit over a 100 on there compared to about 45 stacked up 8 oz. deli cups.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Geckguy are you talking about using the condiment cups or jello shot cups? I'm pretty sure that they are 2 oz. Like Ben said, I think that you would have to clean them out alot (although I clean out my small mason jars every other day anyway) but many bromiliads probably only hold about 2 oz of water anyway. It would be an interesting experiment.
Ed

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You would have to do a lot of water changes with very small cups. In nature bromeliads don't hold a ton of water and neither do some of the other often used tad deposition sites... but they are flushed practically every day by rain fall. So the foul water is replaced, which allows for the tads to stay in such a small amount of water.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are the plastic 2 oz. soufle cups by solo, they are only like 3 dollars for 250. They are brand new, so they don't need any cleaning. With a turkey baster I could probably suck out all the water with one squeeze of the bulb. How many times do you think I would have to chage them a week? If I put some java moss in there for them would that help clean the water a bit?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have raised hundreds of tads of many different species each individually with as little as 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water with no water changes. I tried smaller containers with less water, around 3-5 oz. with no changes and lost some tads so there is a limit as to how small you can go with no water change.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Robb do you think I could use 2 oz. cups with once a week water changes?

G

·
It depends on how much and how often you feed the tads. The problem with only using 2 oz of water is that it will spoil really quick. I think it can be done, but you are going to have to be really careful.

I use 32oz mason jars, and feed 1-2 flakes every 4-5 days. I will only siphon out the really nasty chunks, and add water. I don't even do water changes. I have done this with my retics and imitator.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I think it could be done, depending on how often you feed and what you are feeding. I feed tetra tabimin (broken into appropriate sized pieces) 3 times a week. Using that I would say a once a week change would work. I'd have to try it to make sure, but I've seen tads do just fine in some pretty nasty water.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only feed them spirulina, whenever it looks like they are running out of food.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts