Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I need some help, I have questions rearing tadpoles such as .When to start feeding tadpoles,,how soon after you feed them do they need a water change.Ibought some tadpole food from a Supplier fed a small amount to my tads and some time "2 to 3 days later " they died :( So as much info on this subject is so very very appreciated..Anthony PS.the tadpoles are leucs tincs auratus azeurus

G

·
I only add water to my tad containers... rarely do I even remove anything. But with that said, what were you keeping the tads in, how much water, water type, what type of water did the person you got them from use, how old were they, what did you feed them, were they together are individual? I know there are a few more questions, but that should give us a start. Tad poles are sensitive to water changes, so it may not have been the food.
I normally feed 1 small fish flake per individual tad about every 4 days give or take, and around 4-5 normal size for a group rearing container.

Give us a little more info and we can figure it out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tadpole

thanks bgreen therse are the answers to your questions in order...

1.I keep my tads in a container the size of a petri dish individually.

2.I use aged spring water that has been sitting out for days as well as anachris mixed in the water...

3.I raised these eggs from my own adults...

4.the tads were about 5 days old.....

5.I got the tad food from eds fly meat...

6.They are house singly...

7.this is totally heartbreaking for me i did all the research i could and thought i new what i was doing :?: so all the input i can get is appreciated!

·
Registered
448 Posts
How old were they when they died?
I know one of the biggest probs that I figured out was not to feed them as soon as they come out of the egg. Instead leave them alone for a couple of days (3-4 days) then start feeding them small amounts. Also I keep the new tads in just enough h2o that they can move around a bit; just enough that they are submerged. After a week or so I would fill the container they are in about 1/4-1/2 way.
Hope this helps.
ADAM

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree with some previous posters in that not feeding them until they are about 3 days old. I would keep them in about a cup (8oz) of water. After the three days or so I feed them about 1 flake each day. I do about 1/3 water change every other day. I use a turkey baster to do so- basically just basting out the uneaten food and the excrement.

Here's a question.... were the tads kept at room temperature? Is there an air conditioning vent directly above them? I have noticed that cold drafts can cause some mortality.

Justin

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Also if you keep them unlidded the water temp can be 5 degrees cooler than roon temp...

andersonii85 said:
I agree with some previous posters in that not feeding them until they are about 3 days old. I would keep them in about a cup (8oz) of water. After the three days or so I feed them about 1 flake each day. I do about 1/3 water change every other day. I use a turkey baster to do so- basically just basting out the uneaten food and the excrement.

Here's a question.... were the tads kept at room temperature? Is there an air conditioning vent directly above them? I have noticed that cold drafts can cause some mortality.

Justin

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tads

hello

The tads were about 5 days old i started feeding them when they were 3..And their untimely dimise happend at 5 days...I keep all individual containers in a three tierd sweater box with a buch of containers filled with water so the h2o variables are the same and do not stress the tads out.. The only thing i can think of is that i way overfed them and stagnated their water it smelled like sewer after 2 days....i will take all your recommendations to heart for i have about 18 more tads about to rupture the egg,i will do a followup to keep everyone who thankfully replied updated...please all info is still appreciated .Anthony

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tads

Thanks everyone for your replies but their is one thing i need to clarify

IN NO WAY I AM REFERENCING
THAT EDS TADPOLE FOOD HAD ANY THING REMOTELY TO DO WITH
THIS.IT WAS MY IGNORANCE ON WAY OVERFEEDING AND NOT DOING A WATER CHANGE THAT I HAD MY BAD LUCK WITH..........If this was taken the wrong way by anyone my apologies ANTHONY

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just so you know you can buy spirulina from most health foods stores for a dollar or two an ounce, compared to 10 dollars and ounce at eds.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
geckguy

geckguy

That is very true........But i know if i have any questions
DAVEWill be more than willing to take the time to answer my questions so i do not know that the health food store attendant will be that knoweldgable about frogs.....So that 8 dollars you saved could potententially cost you hundreds in the long run...I thought like that before i owned my own business and i would rather support friends before i would support someone i dont know..So in hindsight i would rather spend the extra money and know i helped a friend and have the knowledge if i ever need it...Anthony Thanks for the info though maybe it can help someone along the way :wink:

G

·
I have used Ed's tadpole food in the past and you have to add just a very little to the tads. A petri dish doesn't hold much water so it could be spoiled very quickly I have all my tads in around 16oz of water, this allows them to handle my mistakes. When I first read your post I thought you had bought tads, so taking that out, anwsers a lot of the problems I first came to my mind. It does sound like you over feed them.

Good luck on the next batch.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I agree with supporting someone that you know but once you get a few hundred tads the food will get expensive quick! I have never had a problem with feeding straight spirulina in fact out of the 100 or so tads I raised from my green and bronze pair before the female died, I lost 1 tad and had no cases of spindly leg. I am very comfortable with using this food, taking care of tads isnt hard it just takes a little practice. If you keep them in 8 oz. deli cups it is harder to over feed just add food until it takes on a light green tint.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tads

EVERYONY THANKS A MILLION A REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE INPUT AND THOUGHTS I WILL KEEP EVERY SUGGESTION LOOMING IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD...ONCE AGAIN YOUR TIME Anthony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts