Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one of my tads out of his egg last night, but not real sure what to expect of them over the next few weeks.

Right now it just sits there not moving. When I move the container a little he will swim around aimlessly until he settles down though.

When should I expect to see it consistently swimming around, if ever?

Also, when should I start adding flake-food, and how much at a time (in terms of 1/4 or so flakes)? I already have java moss in with it to munch on.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I normally leave my tads alone for a week to a week and a half. In this time all I do is check up on them to see if they are still alive and make sure that they have some water to move around in.
At this stage you don't want to have them in too much water only enough that they can sit in get around if needed, and not dry out. I am not sure about what others do but I don't feed my tads for about two weeks with any type of flake food. I have some small amounts of moss and or a pum. leaf in there with them if they need something.
after the two weeks is up they are stronger and you can start adding more amounts of water but only a little at a time as well as feed them with small amounts of tad food. You can also separate them at this time as well; sometimes I forget to and do it when they are three weeks old.

Again this is what I do, others may do things differently.
Hope this helps.
ADAM

·
Registered
57 Posts
they will remain very still for a couple weeks. And even after that, they never will swim around to the degree you would expect from a fish. Mainly you will see the more mature tads, eat, sit motionless at the bottom, and occasionally come to the surface. Sounds exciting huh! :lol:

Dustin

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have been told that you should wait about three to five days to begin feeding newly hatched tads (as their mouths change in this time frame for them to be able to begin feeding). So that is what I have been doing and it is working great for me. I have my eggs in petri dishes and once they all hatch I leave them in the dishes for two or three days. Then I move each one to their own deli cups only about half full of water. After a couple more days I will feed them a little tadpole powdered food and in a couple more days I will fill up their cup with water. I have heard that some people just put them into a full deli cup right from hatching and they do fine. So I don't think that the water depth is an issue. I also slowly increase the amount of food that they get as they grow and start to add in flake food. Just pay attention to how much they eat. If you notice after a few days from putting food in that the water is still full of food and is basically yucky water then don't feed them so much the next feeding. If they are eating all that you put in, the water will stay clear and the food will be gone instead of making the water stay really dirty. Good luck with your tads though!

-Shelley

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
addam4208283 said:
I normally leave my tads alone for a week to a week and a half. In this time all I do is check up on them to see if they are still alive and make sure that they have some water to move around in.
At this stage you don't want to have them in too much water only enough that they can sit in get around if needed, and not dry out. I am not sure about what others do but I don't feed my tads for about two weeks with any type of flake food. I have some small amounts of moss and or a pum. leaf in there with them if they need something.
after the two weeks is up they are stronger and you can start adding more amounts of water but only a little at a time as well as feed them with small amounts of tad food. You can also separate them at this time as well; sometimes I forget to and do it when they are three weeks old.

Again this is what I do, others may do things differently.
Hope this helps.
ADAM
Ditto. This method cuts way down on tadpole losses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts