Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have seen several people use the screw containers (the large hang on wall things that have several drawers) but what about for multiple or lots of tads? What do you use or what is something you can get easily at lowes or wal mart or the dollar store that doesnt take too much space that you can raise multiple tads in from start to oow? Just looking at different options and preparing for trad raising. People mention the shoe box containers but multiples of these would take a LOT of space. Looking at something similar to the hang on screw containers but that have tops so the frogs once they pop legs and crawl out on the sphagnum they can not jump out or harm themselves.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I use a plastic tackle box with holes drilled between each compartment. I cover the holes in mesh so the tads can't escape their compartment. Each compartment has a good amount of water and space. I change the water weekly with RO/DI and feed with NLS pellets and frozen foods. Each compartment also has a wad of java moss and some leaf litter. A video of the tads in the case can be found here:

All of the tads share the same water in this setup which means water parameters and temperature will stay more stable. I believe this is important in tadpole care. There are 12 compartments in the tackle box and I keep 2 tadpoles (SI's) in each one, meaning I can keep 24 tadpoles in a small amount of space.

I have been very successful with this set up and have raised out many healthy froglets with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info.. 24 is a pretty good amount at once in such a small space. I have been researching the communal breeding but it still makes me nervous. Plus I will have several different types of frogs. Thanks for the info. That looks like a good option!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've used this system but never drilled holes between the compartments. That's a great idea. Out comes the dremel knock-off with the right angled head :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts