Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 48" rack system. I have purchased 2 lighting fixtures that require T8 bulbs.

I have found through searching the board that Home Depot carries T8 bulbs, but are these sufficient for plant growth? I am consedering Zoo Med bulbs, like Reptisun. Any recommendations on brand and type for dart frogs (well actually plant growth).

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I'm not sure if HD carries them, but I've bought a westinghouse RealLite (6500k) t-8 from menards and the quality of light is pretty close to the reptisun 2.0 (I have one of each over my terribilis tank). If you're tanks are not outfitted to pass UV, the westinghouse bulbs are a little cheaper, and will grow plants just as well.
Later,

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use daylight deluxe t-8s from Home Depot, plants grow great under them, and they are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The daylight deluxe are 6500k and produce some nice plant growth with the dual bulb shop light fixture.

geckguy said:
I use daylight deluxe t-8s from Home Depot, plants grow great under them, and they are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
747 Posts
from what ive read, you will get results closest to mid-day sun at the equator using a bulb that is 5000k to 5600k. im still learning all this lighting stuff too. the lumen stuff still confuses me a little..lol i went to home depot looking for t8 fixtures and they had a very very limited selection of t8 stuff.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The daylight deluxe are 6500k and produce some nice plant growth with the dual bulb shop light fixture.
This is the same brand I use as well. Comes in a 2-pack for ~$6 and my plants grow great (broms bloom and produced pups).

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
from natural-lighting.com, you can buy T6 bulbs, which are essentially T5s run on T8 ballasts.

BTW: According to a few websites, despite the lower lumen output of GEs grow bulbs, they produce a PAR of 2 or three times more! They are an ugly pink color, but would look nice for a sunset effect, plus boost growth rates without too much heat.

I believe this was stated in plantedtank.net

1 - 9 of 9 Posts