Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a TEK 4 bulb 24" T5ho light for my viv but was wondering if I could use 3 bulbs or even 2 bulbs in it if the 4 turn out to be too bright? Will it work with only 2 or 3 bulbs and is it safe to use with out all of the bulbs?

Thanks for the help, I need to buy this light very very soon, like yesterday so I need the help before I purchase.

Thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok,
The manufacturer just got back to me about the 3 bulb situation. It turns out that the TEK features 2 seperate bays, each with 2 bulbs on 2 different cords, so I can put the back 2 on for longer with a timer to light the broms and then use the other 2 for less time on a timer, which can add up to the equivalent of having 3 bulbs, which really seems to be the perfect solution.
But he did tell me that you have to have all bulbs installed at all times, so each bay has to have both bulbs installed.

I thought I would pass on the info in case anyone else is interested.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I run 4 36" T5HO's and I don't think it's too bright. Plants grow GREAT under it. I upgraded from a 2 bulb fixture and very glad I did so, plants look SOOO much better and the frogs don't seem to care or notice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My viv is 28*20*20in running on 2 x T5 HO 24W fluorescent lamps with 1 x 13W compact fluorescent lamps / energy saving lamp as an evening lighting.
As for me 2 T5 HO 24W is a bit overkill for my setup. Plants are really good, but frogs don't like so much light - the'r really active only with evening lighting.

·
Registered
725 Posts
what i would do is run 2 bulbs for 12 hours , and then run all 4 in a burst for about ~4hrs or so right in the middle. TEK lights are very well made, and combined with a quality bulb like a geismann midday (not sure on spelling haha) you will not be disappointed with your fixture. They're a pretty penny though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.