Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks-

So I am setting up a new viv and am wondering if any one has used T5 lights? Also are they good for Dart Frogs? They supposedly have a very low heat out put and are far better than the the T12 or T8 simply because they are smaller and last much longer, they also look much more sleek in the hood and because they are smaller offer more space to view and access the viv.

So does anyone know if they are good or bad for the Frogs?

thanks Andrew

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yes they work great. 6700K is the spectrum you want... and no, they can't hurt the frogs, unless they are in the tank but that would be stupid and probably cause a short circuit anyways.

·
Registered
306 Posts
They do get warm-hot ,I just use either a clear plastic deli cup or wood to separate the fixture from the tank glass. I started useing the T-5's a couple of years ago and I like them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What type of fixture do you all recommended, and what specific lights do you suggest ?

Im new to this and am unsure where to really even begin with this. Links to stores and specific lights/fixtures is great.

Im looking for a fixture and lights to put on top of a 150 gallon aquarium (6' long and about 2.5' high)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
What type of fixture do you all recommended, and what specific lights do you suggest ?

Im new to this and am unsure where to really even begin with this. Links to stores and specific lights/fixtures is great.

Im looking for a fixture and lights to put on top of a 150 gallon aquarium (6' long and about 2.5' high)
First viv... that big? I'd have at least a year or two of experience before doing something like that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
One of the biggest advantages of T5 besides low temp is that you get more lumens per watt so they are economical. I have used them on planted aquariums for years and replaced my CFL & I agree with Mitch that 6500K or 6700K preferably 6700K is best for plant growth, It's the only type of light I have for my frogs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Please do post the "cheap fixture" links. I'm about halfway done setting up my rack and I'm looking for a long fixture to hang above 4 verts on each shelf. I was just gonna go to home depot but suggestions are always welcome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What fixture are you getting? You might be getting ripped off... there are a few places with really cheap T5 fixtures.
Yeah I didnt do to much shopping around ha. Actually I get almost all of my stuff from a local pet store owner just to support local business, but they in return give money back discounts ha. I ended up getting a 30" single bulb coralife fixture with thier t5 colomax bulb for a bit more than $35. If there are better fixtures or bulbs to use let me know because I will be setting up a new viv in the next few months and will need to know.

·
Registered
370 Posts
wow, so the non rip off t5's are still in the $150+ range. Ouch. Wouldn't the 4 tube lights be way to bright for frogs. I was thinking more like 2 tubes with reflectors.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Check out the frognet feed.. (or frognet). There has been a discussion on this for the last couple of days.

Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts