Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type of automation systems does everyone use?im looking into getting one to take the load off of temp monitoring,misting,light timers etc any good suggestions or innovations?

thanks
V

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just use timers on my misting sys and lights. I use central air and heating to keep my temp in the 70's in my frog room. The only full automation system i have heard of is from American tropics, which you should find a link on the link page here.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Here is a slightly different one then American Tropics:

http://www.dmgaming.com/timer/index.htm

If you search around on the net you can find schematics for various logic circuits that adapt easily to what ever purpose. This would allow for complete custumization. Or you could try adapting an irrigation system timer. It wouldn't allow for any feedback controls, but I have always thought it would work well.

Currently I run a bank of analog timers and 120v rheostats on my big tank. But I am going to be working on some logic curcitry to control temperature and lighting on a mantella tank that is in the works.

So, here is the link for the cooling curcit mine will be based off of if this helps.

http://digilander.libero.it/westaustralia/terrarium/t-cooled.htm

I know not everybody has a background in electronics, but I hoped this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This guy has a cheap misting system hooked upto a computer. If you know a little bit of programming im sure you could just about do anything.

http://www.trix.com/binx/mister/

I have always wanted to pickup an xml feed from weather.com and match the tank environment to the local region in real time. But as with most things time is the factor.

Stitch

·
Registered
313 Posts
oh man that would be so sweet,
you could store the weather reports and delay them a few hours,
so that the daytime of their original habitat coincides with your particular daytime hours... also you could put in safety controls to prevent extremes in temperatures and rain... does anyone wonder if barametetric pressure would make a difference to the frogs? would it be realistic to attempt such an experiment?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
barometric pressure can in some frogs be the deciding factor for mateing but easiest way i have heard or so far is to create a vacuum in your tank i did hear a bit on the net years ago when i didnt care about ice trays on top of the tank to cool the falling air but didnt read it well enough to have retained the memory of it all,anyways yeah its a big part of it at least for some species of amphibians have even heard of a few species that when shipped via airlines was the only instance of matings

later
V

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Radio Shack sells the X-10 control system under its own brand name. You can get a starter system for around $30, consisting of two outlets and a controller, no Timer. The itself is around $30 I believe. This sytem allows you to control any electrical device that is plugged into one of its modules. The is also a computer interface designed to operate the entire house. Theoretically, you could run all aspects of many vivariums with this system.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was into x-10 for a while. It gets sorta boring. Very fun to imagine all the possiblities... but using the TV remote to turn the lights off... I just got lazy.

X-10 would definatly work for Vivs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts