Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
hamo said:
anyone know if this is safe to put in with darts??
thanks
hamo
Hamo,

The common name of this genus is "goosefoot". Syngonium's are closely related to philodendrons. They are mostly found in the tropical America's. I have used many species in my terrarium construction. I particularly like the variegated forms. I have used S. "berry allusion", which is a common cultivar. They can grow in soil or in water. They need bright indirect light in order to grow real well. Hope this helps.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info m8) so i take it that they are safe then to use, the only thing that bothered me was when i did a search on google it said it was toxic :?
thanks hamo

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
syngonium

hamo said:
thanks for the info m8) so i take it that they are safe then to use, the only thing that bothered me was when i did a search on google it said it was toxic :?
thanks hamo
Hamo,

Most philo's and syngonium's are toxic. However, their toxins are only a deterent of herbivores. Some of them will make your skin itch (I think I'm immune) if you cut them with your fingers. I have been using them for years with frogs and never had a problem. Try Syngonium rayii if you can get your hands on some....the plant is safe, and prolific.

Justin

·
Registered
247 Posts
A friend picked up a S. rayii for me from Black Jungle at last year's Frog Day. I am assuming that they have it on a consistent basis. Beautiful plant, by the way.

David Knight
Tempe, AZ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts