Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 27 yrs old and I've been keeping and breeding fish since 10. Everything you can name from cichlids from each continent, different species of pirahna, & countless community tanks. I currently have an African Cichlid biotope (20gal), Red bellied Pirahna tank (60 gal), an Amazon blackwater community tank (30gal) & a 2.5 gallon I breed bettas in. I've kept everything but saltwater fish. I also have the 55 gal I posted for my darts whenever I get them. Cupid has hit me in the heart with the dart frog arrow. Lol... I plan on getting rid of all my fish for more darts since I can't mix them. My wife says its just a phase because she knows how much I love fish but I told her its not at all. Has anybody else given up their main hobby for darts? Every tank I have is in a different room in my house but I want to change that for my darts by having a dart room. Can anybody upload me some pics of a dart frog room (4 or more tanks). Bet that would look so cool. Like I said I've been keeping fish almost 20 yrs and I'm not even 30 yet so I'm quite the expert in the aquarium field but I've never felt so strongly about fish as I do darts. Just wanted to know am I alone on this one? Lol.... NEW FOUND LOVE. SMH

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
There is a whole army of former fish fanatics here. I think there's even a thread about it somewhere. Some were slow making the transition but eventually they all caved.

I think it's kind of like AA or maybe DFA (Dart Frogs Anonymous) :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of strange I love darts more than my fish and I don't even have any yet. Lol.... Aquariums were my world until July when I read jewels of the rainforest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a whole army of former fish fanatics here. I think there's even a thread about it somewhere. Some were slow making the transition but eventually they all caved.

I think it's kind of like AA or maybe DFA (Dart Frogs Anonymous) :D

Lol... Bet they did

·
Registered
128 Posts
haha ive only 21 and ive been keeping fish for 12 years myself and recently gotten into the PDF world. I used to breed discus in HS and i still have a single 60 gallon community tank with my beloved discus and a range of other things so i took an old 40 gal breeding tank i had sitting around and its not my new viv. I would say personally, i have always enjoyed amphibians and reptiles and i didnt get them before now because i group up in a family of fish tank lovers and had basically everything i needed to set things up and do things cheap because of knowing people in the hobby.

I doubt that i will be getting rid of my last remaining fish tank because i still do really love it but i would be lying if i said that i havent had thoughts about what it would look like as a terrarium! lol

I would say choose your favorite fish tank and leave it be, or even just stick your favorites in one tank(if possible) and have one to enjoy. If you have been in the hobby for that long im sure you really enjoy them like i do and i know i would miss having atleast one fish tank around.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha ive only 21 and ive been keeping fish for 12 years myself and recently gotten into the PDF world. I used to breed discus in HS and i still have a single 60 gallon community tank with my beloved discus and a range of other things so i took an old 40 gal breeding tank i had sitting around and its not my new viv. I would say personally, i have always enjoyed amphibians and reptiles and i didnt get them before now because i group up in a family of fish tank lovers and had basically everything i needed to set things up and do things cheap because of knowing people in the hobby.

I doubt that i will be getting rid of my last remaining fish tank because i still do really love it but i would be lying if i said that i havent had thoughts about what it would look like as a terrarium! lol

I would say choose your favorite fish tank and leave it be, or even just stick your favorites in one tank(if possible) and have one to enjoy. If you have been in the hobby for that long im sure you really enjoy them like i do and i know i would miss having atleast one fish tank around.

Oh man, even I've never kept discus so u must be pretty good. You are absolutely right about keeping atleast one tank because I love em so much. I find myself in my local fish store every pay period. Lol... Thanks for the advice. I will most likely keep my Amazon blackwater biotope setup since I really love having fish and plants that live together in the wild.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Oh man, even I've never kept discus so u must be pretty good. You are absolutely right about keeping atleast one tank because I love em so much. I find myself in my local fish store every pay period. Lol... Thanks for the advice. I will most likely keep my Amazon blackwater biotope setup since I really love having fish and plants that live together in the wild.
yeah and his discus are EFFING NICE!!! i think thats a nosy-b chilling in the plants too

·
Registered
128 Posts
i need to do a water change in mine today and then ill try and get some pics of it, its a bit messy right now as ive been busy with the new viv, working full time and going to school full time doesnt leave much room in between to keep it in show quality condition but i still think its nice.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I was a reptile guy in junior high, and I also had a few common frogs. Somewhere in 2010, I came across a pet store that sold darts, and lost my mind. The vivarium part is a whole other story. I'm locked in now. I've had some gold fish, but they bore me and I hate too deal with lots of water. Chicks love a nice fish tank over the frogs though.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm a reformed cichlid fanatic. I've had dozens of tanks set up at one time to breed cichlids. All kinds. Malawi, Tanganyika, Discus, some Central Americans. I was even involved in our local club. I got my first lizards when I was 14 and I've kept and bred chameleons and day geckos. But when I saw my first dart frogs and mantellas at a reptile swap in suburban Chicago 15 years ago I knew that was it. I waited and waited then made the plunge two years ago. Since then, well vivs greatly outnumber fish tanks. In fact I'm down to two fish tanks left.....they will be converted shortly. Anyone wanna buy some cichlid fry?? Maybe someday I'll actually get around to taking some pics of my frog room.
Welcome to the dart frog addiction ktdarts. We should set a reminder on our phones and check back with you in a year and see how many aquariums you have set up lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm a reformed cichlid fanatic. I've had dozens of tanks set up at one time to breed cichlids. All kinds. Malawi, Tanganyika, Discus, some Central Americans. I was even involved in our local club. I got my first lizards when I was 14 and I've kept and bred chameleons and day geckos. But when I saw my first dart frogs and mantellas at a reptile swap in suburban Chicago 15 years ago I knew that was it. I waited and waited then made the plunge two years ago. Since then, well vivs greatly outnumber fish tanks. In fact I'm down to two fish tanks left.....they will be converted shortly. Anyone wanna buy some cichlid fry?? Maybe someday I'll actually get around to taking some pics of my frog room.
Welcome to the dart frog addiction ktdarts. We should set a reminder on our phones and check back with you in a year and see how many aquariums you have set up lol
I'm going 6 max. Maybe 8. Lol...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also am a reformed fish fanatic. It started started just like my fish tanks. One, two, twelve... Now I only have one fish tank and the rest are dart tanks. I couldnt get rid of all the fish so I just kept one with my zebra plecos. It makes a great place to grow out my java moss! I am slimming my frogs to just what I should be able to handle with twins on the way. Egg feeders all the way!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had aquariums for over 25 years and I'll never claim to be much of a fish fan I've always kept planted tanks or reef tanks where fish were the afterthought, I also kept PDFs in the early nineties (it was a different hobby then) and I mainly got into them for a way to set up neat vivariums I've come to realize I'm a plant guy who likes to accent his plants with some nice fauna, I think you will find that both fish and PDFs are an extension of the same enjoyment much like plants are for me I you like breeding fish the PDFs are no different just another challenge. Good luck on te frogs but I promise you will be back to fish at some point, once that new fish catches your eye and you have to have it you will be back.

Len

1 - 20 of 26 Posts