Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the forum and the breeding dart frogs thing.
I just found 5 dart frog eggs this morning. Below are the pics of the eggs and the parents (I don't know the gender or species of either; if you know the answers to both that would help alot). I was reading in the forum about how to tell if the eggs are fertile, but the pics were of a different species. I'm pretty sure these are infertile, but I'm still unsure. Could someone please confirm?
If you need more info on the frogs/eggs let me know.
1st pic is on egg that ended up in the cocofiber on the tank floor.
2nd pic is the main group of eggs on a bromeliad leaf. They look a little purple but that is actually black.
3rd pic is of the two only frogs that live in the viv.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
The eggs don't look good. They are probably infertile. Are these the first eggs that you have found? The species is Azureus. They are a pretty common dart frog that lot of people work with. The frog on the left side of the picture looks to be female based on its size. Maybe she is gravid which is why she laid eggs. Do you have any egg laying sites like a cocohut with a petri dish under it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the first time that she has laid. No, there are not any egg laying sites. I was just contemplating on wether or not to breed them last night (thought I was working with two males instead of a pair). Do the Azureus' have to breed before they can lay eggs or are they like chickens were the male has to fertilize them once the female has laid

·
Registered
370 Posts
azureus laying eggs on a brom? now that's odd. I agree that the frog on the left looks to be female just based on the size comparison. An overhead shot would help. The male fertilizes the eggs after they are laid. How long have you had them? I've had a par the became a trio for 3 years and still no eggs out of them. Frogs, we just think we have them captive but they do what they want:rolleyes:

·
Registered
752 Posts
i use a petri dish with a little water in it with the lid on inside of a tupperware with a couple holes in the lid and some water in the bottom.

·
Registered
596 Posts
please use the search function......it has everything you need, and it sounds like you need to research some more, and find out more about frogs and their care. since you have azureus and they are already laying eggs, there's no need to "practice" with bad eggs. They will give you more soon enough......

Who did you get the frogs from? Did they not know the species either? That part confuses me....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
please use the search function......it has everything you need, and it sounds like you need to research some more, and find out more about frogs and their care. since you have azureus and they are already laying eggs, there's no need to "practice" with bad eggs. They will give you more soon enough......

Who did you get the frogs from? Did they not know the species either? That part confuses me....
They are not already laying eggs; they laid a infertile batch. I want to practice with the bad ones so I get it right when they lay the good ones.

I can't remember the name of the people that I got them from. I got them from a show in Omaha. I'm sure the guy selling them knew the name; I'm just bad with names and remembering things.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Egg Care Sheet - This is good basic information to get your started. You could probably just use general tinc information for your azureus.

·
Registered
596 Posts

I like joshsfrogs method for raising tadpoles. All you need to do is get a couple petri dishes or margarine lids covered with coco huts, and the azureus will most likely begin laying in there. The reason I say you don't need "practice" is because they will continue laying (most likely), probably 2 clutches a week, and it won't be long before they are getting it right and giving you fertile eggs. So I'd wait for that.......in the meantime, get the supplies you need to raise tads.

In the video, he says remove all bromeliads from your tank, but really, with azureus, if you provide alternate sites they will usually lay them in an artificial site.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts