Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get people started talking about what foods they feed besides the basics.... FFs, crickets, springtails, rice flour crazy beetles, termites... and how to get those critters fed. Variety makes for better health, and besides field sweepings, what do you all feed? I'm hoping to collect this info to put into an online frog food guide.

Aphids - a personal fav of mine that I feed like crazy when they are out during the summer. A semi-failed experiment culturing these guys is how I raised my first pummies, the baby aphids being springtail sized abouts, and all my frogs (native and exotic species) have loved'em. Plan to start trying to culture them for real since I'm working with springtail lovers mostly now.
Good resources:
http://www.thebdg.org/library/feeding/aphids_3.htm
http://www.intlamphibday.org/wiki/wiki.asp?AphidCulture

Parasitic Wasps - I don't have the website handy, but these are used for pest control, the females laying eggs on the pupae cases of houseflies, killing the house flies, and bunches of springtailed size fliers come out of each. Parasitized pupae are sent, and those are left in the cages to hatch out. Don't know about trying to culture them, and they can get expensive to keep buying, but what if combined with someone culturing those houseflies? It would be feasible to culture them... and another great source for those tiny, tiny baby darts.

Waxworms (both types) - Little rolls of fat, the babies can be fed to darts with larger larvae being fed out to epips a phyllos. Moths as well? Downfall is when they grow too big, the only thing they are good for is breeding more, unless you have other herps (I fed the larger ones to geckos). I had the lessers, they were great.... when I could seperate them from the media (another downfall). Tips welcome on this one....

Silkworms - Another one I've tried with some success. If you get eggs, the freshly hatched babies are the size of small termites. These grow even faster than wax worms tho (again, my lizards cleaned up the extra), the microwave food smells nasty, but is the only option unless you have a mulberry bush to raid. I never did get the eggs I bred myself to hatch... but mulberry farms is now selling breeding kits (or you can just buy eggs). I may buy one when I get more frogs, or people beg me for eggs they can hatch for their frogs.

Praying mantids - Ok, I vaguely remember someone on frognet saying they fed out freshly hatched praying mantids to either terribilis or bicolor (then again, I've seen bicolor eat house geckos, so I see how mantids would work too). Would probibly work great for epips as well, and egg cases are available seasonally from biological supply places. Newly hatched mantids are harmless although adults of mid to large species do eat frogs.

Micromealies - something new to kinda hit the market... a lot like the rice beetles? I've seen a lot of ads around for these for geckos and BDs, don't really know about feeding them to darts. Anyone tried?

Ok... comments on the above? Good/bad experiences with the above? What did I miss?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just fed my frogs with little black ants yesterday. I found a nest and dug out a clump that contained all the ant eggs and about a billion ants. I usually break off a piece and put it in the tank. Surprisingly, ants don't scatter in all directions of the tank, but walk all over the soil clump only. When frogs had their fill, I put the clump away.

KeroKero said:
Just wanted to get people started talking about what foods they feed besides the basics.... FFs, crickets, springtails, rice flour crazy beetles, termites... and how to get those critters fed. Variety makes for better health, and besides field sweepings, what do you all feed? I'm hoping to collect this info to put into an online frog food guide.

Aphids - a personal fav of mine that I feed like crazy when they are out during the summer. A semi-failed experiment culturing these guys is how I raised my first pummies, the baby aphids being springtail sized abouts, and all my frogs (native and exotic species) have loved'em. Plan to start trying to culture them for real since I'm working with springtail lovers mostly now.
Good resources:
http://www.thebdg.org/library/feeding/aphids_3.htm
http://www.intlamphibday.org/wiki/wiki.asp?AphidCulture

Parasitic Wasps - I don't have the website handy, but these are used for pest control, the females laying eggs on the pupae cases of houseflies, killing the house flies, and bunches of springtailed size fliers come out of each. Parasitized pupae are sent, and those are left in the cages to hatch out. Don't know about trying to culture them, and they can get expensive to keep buying, but what if combined with someone culturing those houseflies? It would be feasible to culture them... and another great source for those tiny, tiny baby darts.

Waxworms (both types) - Little rolls of fat, the babies can be fed to darts with larger larvae being fed out to epips a phyllos. Moths as well? Downfall is when they grow too big, the only thing they are good for is breeding more, unless you have other herps (I fed the larger ones to geckos). I had the lessers, they were great.... when I could seperate them from the media (another downfall). Tips welcome on this one....

Silkworms - Another one I've tried with some success. If you get eggs, the freshly hatched babies are the size of small termites. These grow even faster than wax worms tho (again, my lizards cleaned up the extra), the microwave food smells nasty, but is the only option unless you have a mulberry bush to raid. I never did get the eggs I bred myself to hatch... but mulberry farms is now selling breeding kits (or you can just buy eggs). I may buy one when I get more frogs, or people beg me for eggs they can hatch for their frogs.

Praying mantids - Ok, I vaguely remember someone on frognet saying they fed out freshly hatched praying mantids to either terribilis or bicolor (then again, I've seen bicolor eat house geckos, so I see how mantids would work too). Would probibly work great for epips as well, and egg cases are available seasonally from biological supply places. Newly hatched mantids are harmless although adults of mid to large species do eat frogs.

Micromealies - something new to kinda hit the market... a lot like the rice beetles? I've seen a lot of ads around for these for geckos and BDs, don't really know about feeding them to darts. Anyone tried?

Ok... comments on the above? Good/bad experiences with the above? What did I miss?

G

·
Hi,

I use Lesser Waxmothes (Achroia grisella) one or two times per month. I prefer this specie because it is quicker and more easy to close than Greater waxmothes.

This is the recipe I use to raise them:
50% wheat bran
50% catfood pellets crushed
+
Liquid honey

The media don't be too much sticky (around 1kg of honey for 1kg of solid mix)... In six weeks at 25-30°C, it produces hundred of larvae :wink:

this is the result:

ps: sorry for metric unities

·
Administrator
8,764 Posts
Cool mix! Much simpler than any other I've seen.

So basically you have equal weight (metric or otherwise ;) ) of honey and dry goods. The dry goods are half 'n half (so basically a 1/4 each of the whole) of the 2 you mentioned?

How do you propogate from moths to new cultures? I ask as I have a culture here and if I'm quick about it - I can propogate it.

thx.

Scott
Sanford, Maine
URBAN FROGZ said:
... The media don't be too much sticky (around 1kg of honey for 1kg of solid mix)... In six weeks at 25-30°C, it produces hundred of larvae

G

·
Where do people buy the lesser waxworms? I've never seen them for sale. I've culture the larger ones in the past and its really simple so I'm looking into trying these guys.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lesser wax moths...

I got mine from a buddy at IAD 2002 (he can tell you guys where he got them, I don't remember), he produced a whole bunch of cultures and spread them around. I had mine going for a long while but like I said at the top, I had problems getting them out of the medium (and the recipe for it was a little crazy). I know a number of people breeding them as supplementary food for their colonies, with Matt and Derek of Genesco Frogs being big on them and would probibly sell cultures to those willing to buy them.

Easiest way to get new cultures is to transfer the eggs, larvae, and/or moths to new cultures. I usually just took a bunch of large larvae or coccons and put them in the new cultures. They turn to moths, lay their eggs, die, then from then on its all larvae, no moths to worry about for a couple weeks, so you don't have to worry about them flying around.

G

·
Hi,

this media without glycerol don't work very well with Greater waxmothes... But it is very productive with Lesser waxmothes. I prefer this recipe because it is simple and less fat...

So basically you have equal weight (metric or otherwise ) of honey and dry goods. The dry goods are half 'n half (so basically a 1/4 each of the whole) of the 2 you mentioned?
Yes it seems right :wink: Sometimes I add a little of dry yeast and vitamins powder in the media but it not necessary

How do you propogate from moths to new cultures? I ask as I have a culture here and if I'm quick about it - I can propogate it.
The simplest method that I found, it is to use a piece of the
colonized media (eggs and micro larvae)... it's not necessary to hunt butterflies :lol:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I keep springtails and am working on lesser waxworms and confused flour beetles.

But it's threads like this that make me wonder WHY WE EVEN HAVE A FOOD FORUM!

Ahem. Please people, just look down the first page? Pretty please?

G

·
2 cents

Just my two cents.

I for one am glad that this particular thread is here. I believe that it certainly falls under the rubric of 'Advanced Discussion'. And it does happen to pertain to food. On top of that, I find that the food forum threads tend to fizzle rather quickly. I don't believe that you get the same kind of interchange of information there that you get in the advanced forum because frankly, more people read this forum. It's nice to have the organization that this forum has but I think the concept of a "forum" is lost when it is overcompartmentalized.

But I diverge.

I would like to get a hold of some of those lesser waxworms. I find that my terribilis is too lazy to go after flies but likes to go after things that are almost half of its size (ie grubs). It ended up decapitating the thing but it could not actually consume it.

Ken

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
posting in this forum

*sigh*

I didn't even know about the food forum until I scrolled down more the night after I posted this. I promptly smacked my forehead on the keyboard. I realize still that culturing means might be better placed questions for the food forum... but I also have to agree with Ken a bit. My aim was to find out, from those willing to talk, what people were feeding their frogs for a wider variety, and especially to those tiny little froglets of the more advances species. Springtails does not make for a wide diet, but I wanted to know the experiences for those trying other things (like why jewel wasps are not fun to culture, or the failings or successes in raising aphids). This is directed at advanced keepers, and thus I feel belongs here, so I won't bug anyone for it to be moved.

G

·
Another food source is springtail mites, pumilio love them.
I have feed them befor, but just got a huge out break of them last week.
Anyways after talking to Erin, of ED's fly meat, trying to get a new culture, she also mentioned this.

I also have another mite (I think, looks a lot like a springtail might) that we culture on english walnuts. I will try and get a good picture of one and post it on the board.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts