Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that even the sweet paprika can have bad long term effects on darts and instead I should use super pig or naturose. Only problem is I don't know where to buy naturose or even know what super pig is. Anyone know where I can purchase these items for my byh.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Super Pig (short for pigment) has naturose in it and is a great color enhancer. Allen Repashy makes it, but you can get it from Josh's Frogs.

Good luck, Richard.

Reactions: ktdarts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
SuperPig is made by Repashy so you can get it from the same places you get your Repashy Calcium Plus.
Naturose will probably have to be found with a google search. I saw quite a few sources with a quick google search about a month ago.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I have been told that even the sweet paprika can have bad long term effects on darts and instead I should use super pig or naturose. Only problem is I don't know where to buy naturose or even know what super pig is. Anyone know where I can purchase these items for my byh.
I'm not sure why someone told you that sweet paprika can have bad long-term effects as I can't see any reason for it nor is there anything that supports that premise.....

The reason you want to use a more complete carotenoid profile is because paprika doesn't contain a wide variety of the carotenoids that are beneficial to the frogs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just be careful not to be overzealous with Superpig, it even warns on the label that it shouldn't exceed 6% of the Dry Matter Basis (DMB) of an animal's diet. I am a fan of using Superpig as a color enhancer, but you just have to be careful not to go overboard.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i have seen with the Cal + from Allen significant color enchantments on frogs in the past 8 months! just my observation, no need for super pig in my vit collection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have seen with the Cal + from Allen significant color enchantments on frogs in the past 8 months! just my observation, no need for super pig in my vit collection.
Calcium Plus contains a small amount of SuperPig, which is probably why you have seen improvements in color in your frogs. It really does make quite a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone.
I have 1.2 vittatus group and soon I expect to have some eggs (I hope). I have read some of your forums (but not all of them yet) especially that ones about p. vittatus. And as many of you, once I saw these beautiful red striped p. vittatus frogs. As I far as I knew p. vittatus probably doesn't have any forms which would be different in coloration, so I though the reason has to be in the amount of carotenoids included in food. I'm glad I found this dendroboard where I found that my thought was right. So my question is: how much of sweet paprika can I use to be sure not overdose my little creatures with it? Or is there any other safe way to increase the amount of carotenoids in the food? I am from czech republic, europe, and I did not find any Super pig in our stores :) Is there any possibility to buy any artificial human caroten pills or something else and give them these?
Sorry for my English. Thanks for answers!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Your English is fine! Where in Czech are you from? I love the Czech Republic. Many beautiful memories from there. I think since its a dry good, and not an animal you could get superpig shipped to you. Otherwise, if you are going to use paprika, I would just add a small pinch to your calcium supplement when you dust. If you use a small amount regularly you should still see positive results.

There can also quite possibly be a morph of vittatus with a naturally red stripe
WELCOME TO DENDROBOARD

·
Registered
691 Posts
As I far as I knew p. vittatus probably doesn't have any forms which would be different in coloration, so I though the reason has to be in the amount of carotenoids included in food.
There are two different morphs that I know of... Whether they are from different locales or were just bred separately due to difference I do not know... The vitattus that I see commonly in the hobby have thicker and more orange colored stripes than the ones that I have which seem to have more narrow and darker red stripes.

Again, I am not sure if these are considered two different morphs or if they are bred for their color.

-Christian

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I found that my thought was right. So my question is: how much of sweet paprika can I use to be sure not overdose my
Paprika is not an ideal source of red carotenoids as those carotenoids are not well absorbed in the digestive tract and instead the primary carotenoid supplied by paprika is beta carotene (which is yellow). If you are unable to access Repashy products (I thought there was at least one EU vendor), then I would suggest locating a good source of astaxanthin instead.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
To frogparty: I'm from Prague, the capital city. I'm glad you have nice memories. It's a small but beautiful country if we consider nature, architecture and for example our beer :D But we have some financial and political issues here, our people really don't think and care about nothing but themselves and our president is a d**k :) But that's kinda off topic. My girlfriend will go to america this summer so if I will not come up with any other possibility, I will ask her to buy me that famous SuperPig.

To everyone else (included frogparty): Than you for your advice. I wasn't expecting to get some answers that fast! I read something about that astaxanthin so I will maybe try that. I was just curious about that red coloration and I wanted to try make parto of my future froglets "bloodred", but I just wanted to be sure I won't hurt them. So thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, so lets say that I want try something another than paprika. And I can't get superpig right now. What are my possibilities? I was searching for something containing that astaxanthin. I found these pills called HEMA Astaxanthin cps.30 (I think the web site link is not necessary because of the language used there - czech). There is written that one pill contains 4g of "pure astaxanthin". When I found more complex composition, I found this:
Haematococcus pluvialis extract 10%
oil from safflower 80%
vitamin E 10%
with some "pill encapsulation" made of:
glycerol 20%
water 40%
gelatin 40%
I just wanted to ask, if this source of astaxanthin would be safe for the frogs. My idea was to make powder from the pills and add them to my calcium/vitamin powder, but when I see the composition of pills, I can't get rid of thoughts that it would not be even technically possible to make powder of them, because of the high amount of water and gelatin. Other source of that magic astaxanthin I did'n found in stores (yet).
The best choice so far seems to wait until I get the SuperPig thing or try some paprika (I am really curious about dangers of paprika. So far I read mostly positive XPs).

Another thing that I wanted to know (I swear it's the last one for some time, I don't want to bother you, and I really appreciate all the time you give me :)) if it is possible to supply tadpoles with extra portion of carotenoids.
- buy some food with extra amount of carotenoids in it or
- ad carotenoids directly to the water where tadpoles are kept with some "caroten water solution". But I am not sure if this choice would be safe.
Do you have some advice please?
Again.. thank you for your time and patience. I really appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts