Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had these 4 super blue auratus now for 9 months. They are now living in a freshly setup 10 gallon tank. They each have a personality, one is more shy than the others. I see 1 or 2 of them out in the open everytime I look into the tank. When I mist or open the lid to feed them they all come out to the front of the tank. I really enjoy them and think they display well against brown arther than gree, hence the leaf litter, coco huts, and treefern landscape.

·
Registered
333 Posts
They look more like Blue and Bronze.

Or is just me?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They look more like Blue and Bronze.

Or is just me?
From what I understand, g&br, b/br, t/br, and super blues are all from the same imports and have been line bred. Most of mine are a turquoise color but have been throwing green, blue and teal colors.

·
Registered
333 Posts
From what I understand, g&br, b/br, t/br, and super blues are all from the same imports and have been line bred. Most of mine are a turquoise color but have been throwing green, blue and teal colors.
Soo, basically they're from the same line and there's no real morph distinction?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Soo, basically they're from the same line and there's no real morph distinction?
There have been different imports of "bronze" type frogs over the years...so go by year of import rather than subjective color titles. However, what we call "Super Blue" came in a shipment of a few hundred green/turquoise/teal/blue-and-bronze frogs. About a dozen of them had a different coloration, and those were selected out of the group and line bred, producing what we call "Super Blue."

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That first pic in yesterday's post was taken with my iphone and it definitley messes with the colors, they are not that neon teal!

Two show a pattern of bronz with some blue markings, to show a pattern of marbled teal and bronze. The line of origin is SNDF, they call them super blue so I call them super blue.

The panamanian importation of bronze and blue/teal/turquoise/green auratus is a mystery to me... But I am curious about the relationship between "highland bronze" and "super blue". Both of these lines/morphs through the variable offspring that I just described. Sean Stewarts "highland Bronze" just tend to show the silvery coloration as they age. Perhaps the original animals taken from the wild were of the "super blue" morph but were individuals with the silver coloring...??? just speculation, I am no authority on the matter.

p.s. are there no field biologists in Panama!!?? What I wouldn't pay for an acurate filed guide to panamanian auratus morphs.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The panamanian importation of bronze and blue/teal/turquoise/green auratus is a mystery to me... But I am curious about the relationship between "highland bronze" and "super blue". Both of these lines/morphs through the variable offspring that I just described. Sean Stewarts "highland Bronze" just tend to show the silvery coloration as they age. Perhaps the original animals taken from the wild were of the "super blue" morph but were individuals with the silver coloring...??? just speculation, I am no authority on the matter.
This has been discussed in numerous threads over the last few years...do a search for "highland bronze" and, perhaps specifically, posts by me. Also, for a thorough discussion on the issue of Panamanian auratus and their origins (and how we in the hobby try to classify our animals), there is a great article in Issue 3.1 of Leaf Litter Magazine.

***EDIT***

Actually, if you just scroll down a bit in the link frogface posted above, you can see a response regarding the 'relatedness' the of "Super Blues" and "Highland Bronzes."

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I think it highlights the difficulty of assigning frogs based primarily on physical characteristics/coloration. On a sidenote: the next issue of Leaf Litter (due out in a couple weeks) has a piece about an auratus population in Colombia.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Yup, they are currently living in a 10 gallon tank. I have only just recently heard calling, so I am careful to watch for courting, aggresion, and signs of stress in case I need to move one or two of them into another tank.
I'd recommend moving them anyways. 4 in a 10 is pretty tight for larger juvies, sub adults and especially if they are adults. 4 new young froglets in a 10 no big deal, though its better to grow them out separately or at least in pairs... but if half grown or more that is way to small IMO. I'd do a 30gal or larger for a group of 4, you could get by with 20h or 20L minimum any less then that and you are really asking for trouble IMO.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts