Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just used this on my first viv build to secure some cocofiber panels to the back of my tank as backgrounds. For those of you that don't know, super 77 is a spray on adhesive. Has anybody used this in their tank? Will it kill frogs?

·
Registered
454 Posts
"spray on adhesive" doesn't tell very much...

you need to post a picture of the bottle (front and back) and/or give us a link to the MSDS / product page

maybe then someone can chime in with more info...

·
Registered
454 Posts
a 2 second google search gave me this: 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive - BLICK art materials

I would say that most likely it is NOT safe. 1) it says not for use on styrofoam which makes me believe it will eat away at the foam...

and 2) the MSDS http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xMx2eN8meNv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

lists the ingredients as ACETONE, PETROLEUM, and PROPANE amongst others.....my chemistry is lacking, but I'm pretty sure those will leech into the water...if not have other problems...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but I'm looking for somebody that actually had experience using this stuff which is why I didn't include a picture....I'm aware that it has harmful substances in it but so do silicon and great stuff and people use it in their vivs all the time. Also, the the super 77 was used to attach the coco fiber panels to the back of the tank in very small amounts....Anybody with actual experience know if super 77 is harmful or not?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
i doubt anyone (who knows what they are doing) will have "ACTUAL" experience because the MSDS chemicals listed in the product ARE TOXIC.

Silicone and other products you mentioned do also have toxic chemicals, however they are non-toxic WHEN CURED. If you put silicone directly into your frog tank, with your frogs in the tank, it will KILL them; however, if you wait for it to properly cure, then it will not do so... This product does not have any mention that it is non-toxic once cured (would probably be mentioned in the MSDS sheet).

If you intend to use concrete on the other hand, it WILL leech into your water for the first several weeks, but once it has fully leeched it will be safe.

The stuff you have mentioned, I can assure you with STRONG confidence, will be toxic even when cured and ACETONE AND PROPANE are both SOLUBLE in water meaning that they will most likely leech (even in "small amounts")...

I can't tell you 100% sure that it is toxic, but I can tell you with fairly strong certainty that it is toxic and I personally would remove everything, use a glue remover/thinner and THOROUGHLY clean off the stuff you sprayed, and then use a BLEACH solution to soak the tank and then wash the entire tank before you proceed any further....I would also throw away the wood panels but if you consider reusing them then also bleach the hell out of them and then rinsing them very thoroughly.

in my experiences every single time I have made a decision like that it has ended up harming my plants, animals, and costing me more time and money to fix afterwards....but it sounds like you have made up your mind

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well the propane is used as propellant, it won't be an issue... acetone iffy, it'll mostly evaporate, but does leave residues... petroleum is pretty wide ranging loose definition...

From experience its not aquarium safe, so I would probably avoid it in the viv...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts