Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon viv with 2 D. Auretus living happily. Decorations include a couple plastic plants, a coco hut, and a water dish. I'm hoping to switch over to a false bottom with a water feature and live plants. So far I've bought all the materials including some pothos plants, a creeping ficus, and a coco husk sheet for the back wall. I've read that stagnant water in a false bottom could cause problems, so I'm looking into adding a waterfall or stream to circulate the water. I already have a freshwater aquarium with tetras and swordtails that makes use of a sump to maintain water level and make water changes easier. With all that said...what are the concerns of tying my viv into the aquarium sump. Are there any problems with the frogs and fish sharing the water (i.e. toxins, waste, etc.)? The sump has mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration and a heater (set to 76 degrees F). Any comments and/or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
- DK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would think this is a bad idea. Fish aquariums are associated with all sorts of different kinds of bacteria and who knows how that could effect the frogs... :?:

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
The small amounts of toxins residual from the frogs might not be good for the fish either.
Both the creeping fig and pothos send down large root systems, and both don't mind wet feet, that should help some.
Just make sure the water in you're false bottom doesn't touch the substrate, and siphon the water out of there every once in a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I expected...Something told me that recirculating between the two environments wouldn't work well. I appreciate the responses and my frogs, Aquarius (gf came up with this one...go figure) and Charlie, thank you too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use a sump for both frogs and fish.

It works very well and has quite a few benefits. You can control the temperature of the vivarium by adjusting the heaters in the sump. It will also allow you to filter the tank's false bottom water and allow for easy water changes.

The false bottom water, that leaches through the peat substraigh, will soften the water well for amazon fish, like neons and hatchets.

You would just have to isolate the two systems if you had to medicate the fish, until you removed an medication with charcoal.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts