Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with daylight/sunlight bulbs? I am trying to avoid pet store bought light bulbs to keep costs down, but I am having difficulty finding light bulbs at hardware stores which explicitly state their color temperature (I think this is what the K in the 6700 K figure is. I know that K or Kelvin is a measurement of temperature and I know that there is a relationship between electromagnetic radiation and heat, so I guess that K when referring to light is its color temperature. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.) The hardware store sells bulbs which claim to be the equivalent of either ‘daylight’ or ‘sunlight.’ It seems logical that if the claim is correct, then these bulbs should support plant life. The only way I see to know whether or not these bulbs indeed will support plant life in a tropical terrarium is to try it out. Have any of you ever attempted to use one of these bulbs as the sole light source for one of your tropical terrariums? Which one did you use? What happened? If they supported tropical plant life, did they support bromeliads, too? Would you recommend one of these bulbs? If you would not recommend one of them, then what lighting option do you recommend keeping in mind that I am looking for the most inexpensive light that will perform the best?

Some final questions for this topic: Is a 20 watt fluorescent bulb enough to light a 10 gallon vert? If not, then what is optimum? Is an old clamp lamp an adequate fixture for this new fluorescent bulb?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Coiled compact fluorescents are great for growing plants. In the winter I keep several on some of my tropical bonsai, and they work perfectly. I also use them for my 10g horizontal tanks, as All-Glass Aquariums make 10W CF bulbs that are the size of a typical tubular aquarium bulb and fit right into the lids. The light produced is crisp, and the plants/moss thrives in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts